Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

5 speed standard tranny broke

Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 speed standard tranny broke

I have a 1994 Discovery 1, with the 5-speed standard transmission. Something inside the transmission broke. I think it was a syncronizer. I can shift still but I don't have syncronized shifts on 2nd gear, and sometimes the tranny won't go into any gear. I need to have this either rebuilt or exchanged for a good used tranny. I know the 5-speed was rather rare here in the USA, as most were sold with the automatic. Are parts available for rebuild? Is there a source for a good salvage transmission? I don't have the mechanical skills to drop the tranny, so I will have to rely on a shop. I can do light mechanical work only. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am located in Arkansas.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Used units and rebuild kits can be found. All depends on your capacity.

Being in AR I would call Trevor at RovahFarm to see what he may know about the local availability.
https://www.rovahfarm.com/ordering.htm

Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

+1, good call on recommending Trevor at RovahFarm.

But just remember...……………

Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Paying someone to rebuild your current R380 in the states probably isn't worth it. I looked into having Rob Dassler(a well known Rover guy that specializes in trans) rebuild mine. It was cheaper to get a rebuilt unit brought in from Ashcroft. There's nothing too complicated about replacing the trans. The hard part is getting the transfercase out and back in, it weighs a ton!

Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Are you able to drive it if you can nail the shifts? Can you double clutch?

Second Fish's recommend, Ashcroft units are available and they can be shipped over here for a good price considering their availability. Rovers North also has a few units from time to time in stock. I had an ashcroft put in one of mine. It is a huge pain as he says to install.

For the time being get some really good MTF94, Redline MTL, or ATF in a pinch and change it more regularly, try to baby it. Pretty easy to drain and refill these. Run it until it completely fails or until you can get a replacement. Redline MTL will keep it going for a while.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavC
Are you able to drive it if you can nail the shifts? Can you double clutch?

Second Fish's recommend, Ashcroft units are available and they can be shipped over here for a good price considering their availability. Rovers North also has a few units from time to time in stock. I had an ashcroft put in one of mine. It is a huge pain as he says to install.

For the time being get some really good MTF94, Redline MTL, or ATF in a pinch and change it more regularly, try to baby it. Pretty easy to drain and refill these. Run it until it completely fails or until you can get a replacement. Redline MTL will keep it going for a while.
Redline MTF is a 80/90 weight gear oil type lube. The factory recommends ATF. When this problem surfaced I drained and replaced with fresh ATF. I am guessing you are saying that the heavy lube will "cushion" the gears better since they are not working at optimum?

Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"The factory recommends ATF" The factory actually put out a TSB for the r380 updating away from ATF. Though the manual itself states so, this is no longer the current (18 years ago or so) thinking. I forget exactly what the exact recommendations by the factory were.... but everybody swears up and down that redline MTL is what to use. Ive not switched mine yet, but apparently it makes them shift like new. The defender people have talked about it at length online.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If I am reposting what someone else posted, i apologize.

Check the
bias plate and springs bias plate and springs
that guide the shifter above the transmission. It's a $20-$30 part (see Amazon link).

Mine broke previously, and was the culprit for what you are describing.

It was a simple fix, but just time consuming and accessible from inside the cabin once you remove the transmission cover / centre console.

Last edited by archaeology_student; 10-02-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Eh the fluid is really up to you. Here are a few notes

>LR factory first recommended and spec'd ATF III as the standard fluid for the box
>LR factory then switched from that spec to MTF94 as it provided a bit more possible wear protection
>Ashcroft recommended MTF94, MTL, and now recommend ATF III as being good for the box, they say something about all around use.

My experience is MTL has been very good at keeping older and worn boxes working well, and is especially good at higher temp or harder duty cycles. It does however make for stickier shifts before the car is warmed up in winter. ATF shifts better in colder conditions prior to warmup, very smooth.

I have ATF in the disco and MTL in the defender. Disco doesn't see much more than pulling a few things around the yard and highway miles to work, AND it has a trans cooler so I find ATF works well in that for now (also has a new trans). The defender has MTL in it just because it gets worked harder, longer, and hotter than the other car. It doesn't have a cooler and I have found it makes the transmission a bit smoother. For me it is worth it for wear protection at heavy use alone.

For the purposes of getting a few more miles or months out of a dying box, use MTL and maybe an additional friction modifier. I got about 8 months and 10k miles out of a screaming box using MTL instead of ATF. Change the fluid more often and you can get a little extra time to plan/save for a fix.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
Eh the fluid is really up to you. Here are a few notes

>LR factory first recommended and spec'd ATF III as the standard fluid for the box
>LR factory then switched from that spec to MTF94 as it provided a bit more possible wear protection
>Ashcroft recommended MTF94, MTL, and now recommend ATF III as being good for the box, they say something about all around use.

My experience is MTL has been very good at keeping older and worn boxes working well, and is especially good at higher temp or harder duty cycles. It does however make for stickier shifts before the car is warmed up in winter. ATF shifts better in colder conditions prior to warmup, very smooth.

I have ATF in the disco and MTL in the defender. Disco doesn't see much more than pulling a few things around the yard and highway miles to work, AND it has a trans cooler so I find ATF works well in that for now (also has a new trans). The defender has MTL in it just because it gets worked harder, longer, and hotter than the other car. It doesn't have a cooler and I have found it makes the transmission a bit smoother. For me it is worth it for wear protection at heavy use alone.

For the purposes of getting a few more miles or months out of a dying box, use MTL and maybe an additional friction modifier. I got about 8 months and 10k miles out of a screaming box using MTL instead of ATF. Change the fluid more often and you can get a little extra time to plan/save for a fix.
Specific fluids are recommended due to the fact that the transmission uses soft yellow metals (brass and copper) internally. ATF in the R380 will erode those components and speed up wear/damage. Stick with the recommended MTF94 ( Redline). It will not harm the softer metals.

I would cross reference any fluid to ensure it is safe for yellow/soft metals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 speed standard tranny broke