Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

60k Tune-up for DIs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60k Tune-up for DIs?

Everything I've seen about the 60k tune-up that I've seen is for DIIs. I just bought a '96 DI in need of some general maintenance. All I've done so far is replacing spark plugs, cleaning the MAF, cleared engine trouble codes (which haven't come back in 70 miles, fingers crossed), cleaned connections & ABS sensors, cleared ABS codes. Now I have ABS and an engine that isn't gutless, but I want to get this truck in top shape before my Thanksgiving road trip to Utah.

I found this list from Disco Mike, but I'd like to know what is different for a DI. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike's post: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...10&postcount=2

Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Winching

Another question, do these have limited slip differentials? Should I use any traction additive in the diffs?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There basically the same. The d2 just has different driveshafts that require replacement or actually the joints.

No we don't have LSD

Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
There basically the same. The d2 just has different driveshafts that require replacement or actually the joints.

No we don't have LSD
Thank you for your help! I wonder why they didn't put LS differentials on these?

Unrelated though, is this step irrelevant on D1s?

"Lube all the drive shaft grease fittings including the 2 slip shafts"

Also, don't our trucks use ATF instead of PS fluid? Seems like the D2 version mentioned replacing PS fluid. I'm just wanting to do it right, that's all.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 11-24-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Mountain Goat, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATF in powersteering..yes

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your "CDL" engage and disengage when you move the shifter side to side?

A common issue is the CDL linkage tends to "freeze up" due to corrosion if it is not used on a regular basis. Moving the shifter to left should lock the center differential and turning on a little light on the dash to show it is engaged. Do not drive it on dry pavement with CDL engaged.

Read a variety of postings to get familar with your "new" 96 Disco. Keep in mind it's age and get under it on a creeper with a good light and take a close look at it. Treat it like a new girlfriend and get to know her as I like to say: "Top to bottom, front to back, inside and out."

See what is leaking, corroded, nasty, and ignored for years. Smell it, touch it, and really get to know it and you will enjoy it immensely. Ignore this kind of stuff and you will hate it in a hurry.

And go on YouTube and watch the videos of others. You will learn a lot about what not to do in in a Discovery.

They are fantastic off-road if done correctly. Just don't think you can go anywhere just because it's a Land Rover. And remember the motto: "As fast as neccessary, as slow as possible."

A lot depends upon how it was treated prior to you buying it. It may have been abused and ignored or it may have been well cared for or somewhere in between.

You are wise to go ahead and get ahead of the maintenance curve on it and you should do fine. Otherwise you will be another Discovery Disaster.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-15-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding to the CDL...if it does not move up or down but only side to side on 4hi...its most likely your solenoid on the transfer case...just yank that sucker out...its pointless to have unless your an idiot that goes 70mph and want to see how 4lo feels like down the highway

Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Winching

Disco Mike,

I'll send you my number. Call me ASAP because I'm dropping it off at the shop tonight, being a bit short on time. I've done a bit of tune up on it, and will do all the easy stuff myself. Just want to be sure to tell the shop the right things to do.

thehun,

Thanks for the confirmation on ATF in the power steering.

Danny Lee Disco,

CDL engages just fine, I can go in 4 high or low, and can get into diff-lock mode from either one. The shifter is a bit stiff compared to the transfer case on my Ford, but that may be normal.

As for previous owners, from what I can gather it's been maintained, just not as well as I maintain my vehicles.

Oh, and don't worry, I'm not a newbie to off-road driving. I don't expect this to be any more capable than my other rigs, in fact the open differentials and smallish tires will be enough to keep me from trying anything too crazy. I'll have fun with it, within it's limits.

My previous two off-road rigs were both old Ford pickups, and both would get me anywhere I needed to go. (Actually, I still own one of them.) I never rolled, high-centered, crashed, or otherwise screwed up either one, and I don't see how this could be any more difficult to drive. The lack of any limited-slip or other traction device does concern me a bit, so I may eventually need to throw a Detroit or similar in the rear end. That would most likely be a few years down the road though, or after the first time I get stuck.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Called you last night and this morning got no answer.

Quick Reply: 60k Tune-up for DIs?