Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

800m from home still love my disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 800m from home still love my disco

Starts everytime, took me 800 miles from louisiana to indiana, its paid for, its bad ***, and is original.

Driving my friend to the indianapolis airport today I got two "stares" one from a group of people on the side of the road breaking their neck watch me drive by. And another at a gas station. This guy stopped rolled down his window and just stared and then started asking me questions. I feel bad I could barely understand his accent, I was trying to pay/pump gas and tell my friend how much he owes me. I made came off as a jerk, but he drove around just staring, "i bet thats fun" "you go mudding" sees my license plate and realized im from louisiana, "HELL YEA YOU GO MUDDING" "enjoy your trip."

Had my first snow day today! You guys have no idea what its like to see snow. I mean maybe you did when you were a kid. I was laying in the hotel bed 5am, remembered we had a chance of snow but from always being let down back home I laughed it off. Eventually looked out the window with a yea right expression and WWTTTFFF!!!!

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

so many times we had the chance of snow back home and I would always wake up and peek outside HOPING for the impossible and always being let down.

So I did what any construction worker who was already late for work would do. I backed up my truck and took pictures of my tracks made with my mud terrains. Driving in the snow was FUN!!!! I was hoping for a snow out but when I got 40 miles south to work they barely got any.

I see alot of good places to offroad around here! only problem is they all invlove steep muddy slopes, of which if I were to get stuck my buddies truck would be of absolutely no help. 4wd silverado on all terrains.

I bought about a gallon of sealant Im determined to seal up my damn rear sunroof!

I have been searching craigslist everyday in hopes of a roof rack or something but no luck... Any good junk yards around the Indianapolis area?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Omg im only 60 miles from badlands offroad park!! Should i go into work tomrorow?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I wish I could donate a couple feet of the white stuff. I'm pretty sick of it by now(our average winter total snowfall is 98" a season)

But growing up where snow is the norm on average of 4 months out of the year, I would have no idea what it's like without it.

Last edited by kenk; 02-26-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How much snow do you have down there Spence?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench

I dunno
If this is how they measure it but from what I saw on the ground 1-3" in places.

I like how in Colorado they almost didn't bother even plowing it, here they scoop it up faster than it can fall.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench

And why the heck do vehicles get so dirty up here?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

They get dirty from the salt that is used on the roads to melt the ice and snow.
If it was allowed to just pile up before you knew it cars could not drive the roads and trucks could not fit under bridges.
The more you drive on it the more packed it gets, the more packed it gets the harder it is to remove.
Now just wait until the sun comes out and melts the top layer, then the sun sets and that top layer of melted snow freezes into ice and then try and then try and drive on it.
I dont know how much snow they get in CO or how long it lasts, but around here we get a good 3-4 months of snow and you have to put it somewhere.
We load it into dump trucks and carry it away and dump it into fields and vacant lots.
If we didnt the parking lots would be useless because the snow piles would be so huge.
They use front end loaders to plow the mall's and Wal-Mart's etc.
To measure snow is simple, find a flat spot that's not drifted or piled and measure with a ruler.
Stick it straight in until it hits solid ground and thats your measurement.

On my Facebook I have a pic of a tape measure with 16" of snow behind my garage.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Also keep in mind if you wash your car during the winter it will freeze, the door locks, the doors and windows will freeze shut.
If your door freezes shut do not try and pull it open by the door handle, stick your fingers into the door frame and pull there.
If you do wash your car lube the door locks and dry the door seals right after so nothing freezes.
Personally I just wait until spring when all the road salt is gone and the weather is warm.
You need to get the salt off of the undercarriage too, if you dont the frame will rust.
So a automatic carwash with a underbody wash is the best kind to use.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench

So much to learn. I thought you were joking about putting the snow in dump trucks and bringing it to empty lots the first time I read. Your serious.

I dunno when I was in colorado they did plow but it didn't seem so frequent and I never noticed any piles? But it snowed constantly.. I guess something doesn't add up

Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Yes I am serious about the dump trucks.
I have no idea what type of snow they have in CO or how much they get a year on average.
This year we are breaking our record of 107", I do not know by how much though.

Quick Reply: 800m from home still love my disco