Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

93 e10 or 87 ethanol free?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 93 e10 or 87 ethanol free?

If you had the option which would be better?
thinking cause I found this: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

93 even with ethanol, because it says so in the owners manual.
Most of those ethanol free gas stations are unbranded, which means cheap gas, no injector cleaners, no deposit control...just pure straight junk gas for the same price as name branded gas.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i keep forgetting why we need premium when we dont have high compression engines.

Also i wish i knew where the previous owner bought gas because the intake valves were naastty. I say that but there no where near what shell advertises as 5000m with other brands.

i hear so much crap about gas i dont know who to believe. Doesnt the car bible guy say that its all the same just different packages added and that all gas has to meet government standards and cant too many additives be a bad thing?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench

well I may have found the answer to my own question. octane is not the amount of power in gas as many believe, its the ability to resist detonating under heat and presure, ethanol actually is used to increase octane because it contains 1/3 the "power" of gas in essence it weakens it to avoid preignition. so if you have an 87oct e10 they must have started with like 81oct before they added the ethanol. It makes me sick, all because some stupid law in washinton, cause someone who knows someone wanted to get their hand in the cookie jar, "our pockets". We really need to wake up.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
well I may have found the answer to my own question. octane is not the amount of power in gas as many believe, its the ability to resist detonating under heat and presure, ethanol actually is used to increase octane because it contains 1/3 the "power" of gas in essence it weakens it to avoid preignition. so if you have an 87oct e10 they must have started with like 81oct before they added the ethanol. It makes me sick, all because some stupid law in washinton, cause someone who knows someone wanted to get their hand in the cookie jar, "our pockets". We really need to wake up.

IM SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GLAD this forum isn't like EVERY other forum I belong to. Youd have a strike against you and 100 comments about how your wrong for posting this..

I still want to know WHY we need high octane [yes I use it]

On a side note, I worked at petrolium plant. While out on the docks at the mississippi river I saw the loading pipes three different diameter, one for regular one for plus and one for premium. Im not which was smaller out of premium or plus. But I guess it put to rest in my mind that they were all the same just with octane booster added [possible?] I know it has nothing to do with the thread. But the plants do pipe the stuff out seperatly.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch

I still want to know WHY we need high octane [yes I use it]

I believe it is because our engines have no EGR system what-so-ever, which lowers top-end temp's. So it needs the pre-ign properties of higher octane.

And thank god 10% ethanol is ok, cause I think there might be 1 station in my town that does NOT have it

Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

in a nutshell.......octane is a measurement of how fast a certain volume of gas burns. It works a little backwards of what you might think....cuz a higher octane gas burns slower than a low octane gas. So imagine the fuel burning in your cylinder.....if the explosion burns too fast it will "knock" on the top of the piston before the piston is ready to travel back downward.....thus the knocking & pinging associated with lower octane fuels.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Pro Wrench

it's because these trucks were built in the UK, they use a different formula to measure octane rating than we do so their 87 is like our 91. as to why we need the higher is cause preignition causes the computer to retard the timing losing power and gas milage. Now I don't know if this is the case for the 94-95s which I have cause the computer dosen't control a distributor, although it may affect injector timing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I'm really looking into finding an economical way to ajust for these things to get the power and mpg that I know I can get. there has to be a better way than just bending over and taking it, having to put crappy mpg killing ethanol in my truck.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
How does mandating ethanol in U.S gasoline help politicians get their hands in our pockets? Ethanol in gasoline mandates are to protect farmers so that a percentage of their crop, no matter what happens, is sold when harvested. The ten percent ethanol blend makes minimal difference.

Last edited by britishracinggreen; 08-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Pro Wrench

well the government subsidizes farmers to grow ethanol crops (our money), we buy gas and are taxed on it, they force us to use the product, as a result we have to buy more gas to compinsate for the loss in mpg, and I'm pretty sure someone gets a kick back along the line for making this all happen. not to mention all the ill side effects that ethanol causes in boats and motorcycles and lawn mowers, they say these can all run on e10 but they don't take into account that these items ussually sit for long periods of time while the ethanol in the gas absorbs water ruining carbs and making me cuss everytime I go to mow the lawn. does that help, there is no "green" propaganda BS that you can name that is truly economical.
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=7308

Last edited by tweakrover; 08-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 e10 or 87 ethanol free?