Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 disco d1 dies after starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 disco d1 dies after starting

Hello, I am having a very frustrating time trying to get my 95 disco running. It cranks and it starts for a two to three seconds than it dies. I think it might be a fuel problem or a sensor. I do not have a pressure tester to test the fuel at the rail. I do have a cheap harbor freight obd 1 tester that I can use. I truly like this car and I do not not want to junk it. I can take video to show the problem at hand.

I thank you in advance for any input and advice to get this truck on the road again.

George

Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Have you tried the hammer test

take a rubber mallet or a small sledge and smack the middle of the fuel tank from below while cranking. If the car runs much better after you do this try getting a new fuel sender and installing it.

Otherwise check for a vacuum leak at the motor?

Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DavC
Have you tried the hammer test

take a rubber mallet or a small sledge and smack the middle of the fuel tank from below while cranking. If the car runs much better after you do this try getting a new fuel sender and installing it.

Otherwise check for a vacuum leak at the motor?
Thanks for getting back to me. I did the mallet smack.... No running. I will continue with the vacuum leak. Great Idea.

This are the things I have done to the care:
1. Replace the fuel filter. While filter off cranked the car and excellent fuel volume came out from the tank. Since I do not have a way to test for actual pressure, it look very good.
2. Check the fuse and good condition.

I do have an empty vacuum leak at the "t" that comes from the power steering main hose?

I welcome any suggestion for trouble shooting this fuel problem.

Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling

I need the truck for working in a moving project. I truly welcome any advice! I have been working for 6 hours trying to get it started but no luck. I have read many topics but I have not found solutions for my current problem. Can it be the IAC? or the MAF or the throttle position sensor?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:38 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

When was the last time your truck ran properly?

Did you do anything to the truck recently (prior to the problem)?

Fuel pump is the first check given your symptoms. Without a reading of pressure at the fuel rail, we are all just guessing.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
When was the last time your truck ran properly?

Did you do anything to the truck recently (prior to the problem)?

Fuel pump is the first check given your symptoms. Without a reading of pressure at the fuel rail, we are all just guessing.
Thanks for getting helping me out. The last time the truck run properly was about 16 months ago. I did not do anything recently prior to the the problem. The truck sat in a warm climate town.
I just got a fuel pressure tester. I will take a reading and will update you in a few minutes.

Thanks for taking the time to advice me.
George

Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I just finish running a pressure test. I connected the fuel tester on my 95 disco on the fuel rail's schrader valve. I DID NOT GET ANY MOVEMENT OF THE NEEDLE ON MY PRESSURE TESTER. I am a little confuse. I did remove the filter yesterday and good amount of fuel came out of the pump's line when the filter was off. Did I test the fuel pressure in the correct location? Long ago, some one told me that the best place to test the pressure was at the filter line? Is that correct?

I am doing this by my self since I do not have any one to help me to listen for the pump to work.

I welcome any advice!

Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

The schrader valve on the rail is the correct place to measure. Should be in the mid-30's.

Your truck is pre-AEL (emissions). Not sure if the pump is the same as the AEL (1997 and later). The housing is definitely different but you can probably just change the pump. Also should replace the gasket between the housing and the tank.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
The schrader valve on the rail is the correct place to measure. Should be in the mid-30's.

Your truck is pre-AEL (emissions). Not sure if the pump is the same as the AEL (1997 and later). The housing is definitely different but you can probably just change the pump. Also should replace the gasket between the housing and the tank.
Thanks for the info. I did not get any reading from the tester.. I am a little concerned. Can this correct no pressure showing? Tomorrow, I will get a friend to hear for sounds near the gas tank.
I still looking for any other possible problems to my fuel problem.

Thanks for lending a hand!

Old 03-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Remove the cargo bay carpet and padding and remove the cover over the fuel pump, now see if you can hear it when turning the key. Don't start it just turn the key to pos II to start the pump.

If you still don't hear the pump come on check fuses - fuse F3 10A in satellite fuse box 1, fuse F6 15A in engine bay fuse box, fuse F7 20A is also in the engine bay and it's the whole enchillada.

Also while putzing around under the hood press the top on the Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch to reset it. It's mounted on the firewall inboard of the washer fluid bottle.

Quick Reply: 95 disco d1 dies after starting