Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco: Smell burnt oil...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco: Smell burnt oil...

Hi everyone! I'm a new disco owner (I bought the vehicle in the end of September)who doesn't have much mechanical knowledge but I'm a quick learner and eager to learn. It has 184k miles and had the oil changed recently.

Anyways, when I bought it I took it into a shop (greendogmotors in Portland, OR) and had them replace the front brakes (they gave me a great deal on it and looked over the vehicle). They told me that everything looked good and was running well but recommended I have the transmission filter replaced and replace some of the fluids when I can afford it (I was planning on doing some of this this month but had an unexpected large expense come up).

They suggested the filter because the previous owner (I bought it from someone who had recently purchased it from the second owner who had replaced/rebuilt the transmission but not passed along a receipt) didn't have a record and they said it was a good idea. The motor doesn't make any noises and I haven't seen any smoke but it does go thru oil (I think it has a leak but not certain).

Yesterday when I put some gas in I topped off the oil and when I removed the oil cap there was a little bit of smoke coming out. Today when I parked my car near work and got out I smelled burnt oil (I didn't spill any oil when I added more and nothing dripped on anything) and I dont know what this means.

Also, two weeks ago I filled the tank and the girl attendant pointed out that there was gas on the ground and she hadn't over-filled it. It didn't look like it was coming from the gas tank itself but from the hose that connects it to the tank. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I was thinking of replacing the hose and seeing if that fixed it.

Anyways, sorry this was so long and if you have any advice on what I should do or look at please let me know!!

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Tighten clamps on gas hose between tank and fill neck. Do that today.

2. Oil smoke no problem unless you are not full of oil on the dip stick. Check oil separator, it is in passenger side valve cover, toward the rear, has an elbow rubber hose that goes to pleum. If clogged, oil smoke can't be drawn off and burned. Just squirt some carb cleaner down it, or pull out with needle nose pliers and solvent clean. It looks like some kind of plastic macaroni, just keeps wet oil from making the path to the plenum. Pix attached.

3. Purchase 8mm 12 point 1/4 inch drive socket, or very slim 3/8 socket, and snug up valve cover bolts, can leak oil on to block, need to be tightened every oil change.

4. The first listing is the technical sticky, in there you will find a write up to DIY fluid and filter change. You have a good mechanic to note that it probably had not been done. There is alos a list of things to do for high miles service.

5. If you pump your own gas it might save a little. Don't defer routine services like oil and fluid changes, DIY and the materials are very cheap. And check fluid levels under the hood every week.

6. Please download the full factory tech and owners manuals, called the RAVE, at link below.

7. Good deal on a rebuilt transmission, one less major problem to worry about.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the advice! I will make this my weekend project! Also, I unfortunately live in OR and for some reason they don't trust us to pump our own gas (or maybe the legislature is lazy in the rainy winter and don't want to get out in the cold wet weather to pump it themselves).

I don't have an oil change do for at least 1500 miles and I'm thinking of using sea foam before I do my next oil change. As for the other fluids, I'll find a way to get that taken care of.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Two other tiny things. Use some lube or WD 40 and do the hood latch and the cable that runs to it and the cable inside the truck. One guy had his break off and had to saw out the grille. Two, check tranny fluid level. If that fluid smells like burnt coffee, bad sign.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Like Buzz said tighten the valve cover bolts, make sure the people pumping your gas are putting in premium.
Your gas filler hose is bad and needs to be replaced, common for such a old car.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

And the burned smell is usually oil leak that drips down on hot exhaust manifold from valve covers.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Like Buzz said tighten the valve cover bolts, make sure the people pumping your gas are putting in premium.
Your gas filler hose is bad and needs to be replaced, common for such a old car.
+1. If you are lucky, it os only the top section that is cracked and you can splice a piece on with a section of 3/4" hose and a brass nipple (giggity). This methode will buy you a little time, but you are going to have to drop the tank eventually to address the other end.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fit is just the fillhose,you can replace it easily without dropping the tank. If it is the hose going to the charcoal cannister, that is the drop the tank issue. I bought my replacement fill hose from Rovers North.

Also, you should either get a creeper (Harbor Freight has a decent one) and a good light and inspect the entire underneath YOURSELF to see firsthand what you can expect soon. Or get it up on a lift and go over it closely. My fuel lines had corroded badly like swiss cheese. When I lifted one section free of the clamp,multiple pinholes began to leak gas. It drained the tank overnight in my driveway. Even the fuel filter and it's clamp had a major corrosion issue. The clamp basically rotted away and a hole formed in the sideof the fuel filter.

I recommend a new fuel filter if in doubt of when it was last replaced.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

DL, you have the rare advanced automatic anti-corrosion applicator, with stealth clean up option... it washes away the oil leaks with gas... and the gasoline smell keep neighbor's dog from raising his leg on your new wheels...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! If there is anything that you need help on (like not knowing what is what) just ask us, and we'll describe it in more detail. Most everything above is great advice.

The main problem I had when I first got my Disco was just not knowing all the terms for everything.

I don't have a Disco anymore, but I still lurk and help where I can! I'm after a Range Rover now... >:-)

Quick Reply: 95 Disco: Smell burnt oil...