Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'95 discovery 1 leaps forward when given gas and leaps backward when pedal is let off

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 discovery 1 leaps forward when given gas and leaps backward when pedal is let off

Hello, I haven't been able to find this problem anywhere else. My '95 discovery 1 always leaps forward a little when gas applied, and then leaps backward when i take my foot back off the pedal. It seems the issue has gotten worse over time, it drives okay other than that but I can't figure out what's wrong. It sounds like the car is punching itself in the gut. It is usually only noticed when I'm going 40mph or faster, and fades less and less of a problem as I drive slower, at lower speeds it is unnoticeable. If anyone has any idea or needs any further information please let me know, I'm worried this problem is hurting my beautiful rover over time. Thank you so much

Old 09-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

What's been done to it mechanically since you've owned it? Manual transmission or automatic?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
What's been done to it mechanically since you've owned it? Manual transmission or automatic?
Automatic, I wish it was a manuel. It's had a power steering hose replaced, a brand new fuel pump put in, and a relay fixed that prevented the car to start at one point. The previous owner told me about a throttle position sensor issue but he said that he doesn't think that's the problem here, I have no idea if he's right but it sounds suspicious. I'll check my notes in the manuel later to see if I missed anything

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

What about the inline fuel filter, any transmission fluid/filter changes, distributor? Things like that. Your vehicle is "lurching". Right now it's hard to pinpoint what unless I know some history, if you have to reference notes I have all the time in the world. The one thing I really need to know is if your capable of doing any work yourself on the truck?