Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco with 5 speed manual won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 08:28 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco with 5 speed manual won't start.

Here's the basics. New fuel pump. 50+ psi on the fuel rail. Spark. Cranks. Test light on injector lights initially once on the ground side then no more as I crank. No codes on the reader.
Thing sat for 12 years before I got it. Now I'm trying to bring it back. Unknown and undiagnosed reason why it stopped running from previous owner. Crank position sensor or ECU? Something else?
Thanks
David.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 199 Posts

I would check compression. Maybe add a spoonful of oil into each cylinder. Check for codes, but that might not really help much. Clean up the throttle area, including the IACV and passages, might help and you'll get a sense of previous maintenance. What is the condition and color of the oil filler area and cap? That can indicate engine condition (silver is new, light brown good, black and gunky bad). Maybe unplug the MAF and see what happens. These truck do have an immobilizer feature to help prevent theft, that should show some light on the dash.

The ECU connects the injector to ground to make it pulse. So, I think if the light goes out on the ground side, the injector should be on. How many did you check?

These truck are really quite simple. Changing the CKP sensor is easy and doesn't cost much. Mine was intentionally shorted by the PO, and it would still start and run. The NTK CKP sensor I bought fit perfectly.