Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco "build"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco "build"

Hey guys. Just got a 96 5 speed Disco yesterday. Motor is strong and body is in pretty good condition. Theres some rust in the rear door jams and Im pulling the carpet later today to see how bad the floors are. The P/O told me that the cargo area is rusty, so we'll see. Truck is bone stock for now, but the mods will start today. I have a 2 inch OME HD lift waiting to go on along with 1 inch RTE spacers. I will be running 33 inch BFG M/Ts. Heres a picture of the truck as it currently sits, with 4 mismatched 32s one of which is flat!
Name:  IMG_20130730_132157.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  154.8 KB

Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I look forward to your build. I wish I had started a build thread when I got my truck.
Be sure to post up in here, So what did you do to your Disco today? - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

All the posts about PM in that thread are a bit of a snooze fest.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish i started a build thread as well...its come a long damn way over the past few years. I love the silver, you have a good looking truck!
Here is a then and now pic of my truck.
Day I got it:
Name:  25862_728693390568_12702817_4115475.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  103.5 KB
This weekend:
Name:  photobucket-65477-1375303621406_zps56f59fcd.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  124.0 KB

Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
All the posts about PM in that thread are a bit of a snooze fest.
Amen brother! We want lockers, lifts, axles, gears and big *** tires!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Amen brother! We want lockers, lifts, axles, gears and big *** tires!
Haha, seriously! Not a lot of glamour, lots of general maintenance.

OP, good call on the springs/lift...that right rear is riding preeeeetty low! And for the sake of being boring, don't forget to put some time/money into the engine and tranny to make sure it stays on the road. How many miles on that bad boy?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and subsequent camel trophy fueled dreams of grandeur. That looks like a great example to start with.

It's helpful to fill out the "location" on your profile. Maybe one of us will be local to help out.

My advice would be to build your truck towards your intended goal. Remember, nearly every modification is a compromise. 37's on camel trophy trucks would be as pointless as 28's on a monster truck.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys. The motor has 141K on it and head gaskets were done recently as was the clutch. I have a spare water pump and fan clutch laying around just in case. Today I replaced all of the Coil Packs and sent it to the shop to get the 33s mounted. The rear looks so low because the driver side rear is dead flat in this picture and its on a hill. Im doing the 60K mile service to it, just to be sure its running properly and reliably. My direction for this truck is a weekend warrior. Camping/fishing and some expos. Stage one will be the 3 icnh lift and 33s, bumpers, winch and interior mods like headliner fix/seatfixes/bedliner. Stage two will be gears, lockers, upgraded axle shafts, new Arms and 35s. Im sure there will be odds and ends mixed in I will most definitely post in the other thread as well. Looking forward to updating this.

Last edited by Motorvated; 07-31-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Motorvated
Thanks guys. The motor has 141K on it and head gaskets were done recently as was the clutch. I have a spare water pump and fan clutch laying around just in case. Today I replaced all of the Coil Packs and sent it to the shop to get the 33s mounted. The rear looks so low because the driver side rear is dead flat in this picture and its on a hill. Im doing the 60K mile service to it, just to be sure its running properly and reliably. My direction for this truck is a weekend warrior. Camping/fishing and some expos. Stage one will be the 3 icnh lift and 33s, bumpers, winch and interior mods like headliner fix/seatfixes/bedliner. Stage two will be gears, lockers, upgraded axle shafts, new Arms and 35s. Im sure there will be odds and ends mixed in I will most definitely post in the other thread as well. Looking forward to updating this.
Sounds like you are headed down the same road Brett and I are. I would suggest getting trailing arms as well as extended brake lines with the 3" lift. Also once the lift is on take some measurements and get some decent shocks in the 10-12" travel range. Once you upgrade the rest as you go you will really appreciate the long shocks.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I have Billstein shocks to go with the springs and i"ll be rebuilding some Fox Shocks to replace those with in the near future. After the shocks/springs are on, I'll check my angles and decide if I need the trailing arms or not. I see some do, some dont. I dont want to do those until I really need them. Im also waiting for a welder so I can fab up some of my own parts!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Motorvated. Congrats on your purchase!

I hate to ask a favor of a new LR owner, but it sounds like you already know alot more about taking care of your Dscvry than I do. I've had mine since it was new in 1997, but over the last 2-3 yrs, I've had trouble finding a reliable shop/mechanic to do my routine repairs and maintenance. I work alot (not a great excuse ), so I don't have much time to do the work myself. I don't mind paying fair prices; I just don't want to be cheated .

If you find a dependable shop in south Jersey or Phila area that does LR repairs and modifications, or just the work that you don't feel like doing, please share . In our neck of the woods, we don't have alot of choices. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 96 Disco "build"