Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco No start help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco No start help

I have a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD automatic that I am not able to start.The truck will turn over, no security light and would just crank and an audible clicking sound would come from the passenger footwell. I have changed the fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor. After this did not work I checked the Frequency of the crankshaft position sensor with an automotive fluke meter and confirmed that i have the correct wave and voltage at the ecu. I also checked and cleaned the grounds at the ecu and added one more. I am pretty sure that my problem is within the ecu. The current ecu in the truck is ERR6759 and i do not believe that it was the ecu that came with the truck considering it has junkyard writing and says stick on it. If anyone wanna has any idea what else it would I would be glad to try it.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm hesitant to say this because I am not entire confident, but it may be that the alarm ECU and the main ECU need to be paired (or the originals need to stay together).

Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM
4wd High

I thought the same but the truck ran before. I also left out that it hit a puddle and had intermittent no start before no start at all. Also I confirmed the security light works but is not on and the key fob still works too.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:57 AM
TReK

a puddle eh... my next inspection would be the seals on the ECU. It is pretty common for the casing of the main ECU in the engine bay to degrade allowing water onto the circuit board.

Typically a drying out and re-seal do the trick if that is, in fact, the problem.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
a puddle eh... my next inspection would be the seals on the ECU. It is pretty common for the casing of the main ECU in the engine bay to degrade allowing water onto the circuit board.

Typically a drying out and re-seal do the trick if that is, in fact, the problem.
I already have had the ecu and alarm box out and apart. I inspected both and there was only a little bit of corrosion on the alarm box. The ecu case and boards look almost new.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
TReK

Well the most basic stuff is fuel, spark, and air. What is the fuel pressure at the rail and have you tested for spark?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Well the most basic stuff is fuel, spark, and air. What is the fuel pressure at the rail and have you tested for spark?
It was 37 psi at the rail. The coils and injectors are not getting the signal. No pulse for either.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM
4wd High

Ive tried just about everything but a swapped ecu.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So this definitely happened because something got wet. What about the crank position sensor? Fuel temperature sensor?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Crunkgringo
So this definitely happened because something got wet. What about the crank position sensor? Fuel temperature sensor?
Yeah i said i changed the crankshaft sensor and used an automotive fluke meter to check the waves and voltage. Im also pretty sure the fuel temps sensor isnt on the same circuit as the injector/coil trigger wires.

Quick Reply: 96 Disco No start help