Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco Starts to overheat, then calms down

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco Starts to overheat, then calms down

The car has 180k on it now and for my job I have to go out on sales calls which consist of city-driving, starting and stopping the car within 5-7 min in between and I am in central Texas so it is about 103 outside today. What happens is after about an hour or so (roughly 5 or 6 stops) my temp gauge starts creeping up slowly and eventually gets to the top of the bracket (not in the red mind you) so I pull over and let it cool down.

I had a new water pump installed within this past year, and the coolant pressure is fine and is not leaking anywhere. This is where I am stumped. The belt is routed properly btw.

Also, I have seen it getting hot (nearing the top of the bracket) and I am able to get on the highway and after about 5 miles at 70 mph the temp gauge is back in the middle. Any thoughts?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming at 103 you're using the AC. Make sure the electric fans behind the grille are turning on. If I recall correctly one of the fans should run the entire time the AC is on and the other turns on when the engine temp starts to rise. You may also have a faulty fan clutch so the engine fan isn't engaging properly. On the highway there is enough airflow through the radiator to keep the engine cool. How long has it been since coolant was changed? Another possibility is that your cooling system needs a thorough flushing to remove any buildup in the passages.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Drifting

I am using the AC and actually I run it with the 'Re-circ' on for the the first couple of minutes to get the cabin cool and then its just regular AC. I will have to check to make sure both are turning but I know that when I pull over and its really hot, I can hear one of the fans still turning after I shut the car off.

The coolant was completely drained and refilled about a year ago along when the water pump was done. I actually haven't had a true 'coolant flush' in a couple of years. About 4 years ago I had the Rad re-cored though.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Alright I just checked on the two electric fans and one did turn on when I turned the AC on and the other was off but the engine temp was at normal.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should both run, at least mine do.

If you resolve the fan question, another thought is failing thermostat (sticking)

luck,greg

Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BURover
I am using the AC and actually I run it with the 'Re-circ' on for the the first couple of minutes to get the cabin cool and then its just regular AC. .
Nothing to do with your overheating but your doing it backwards.

When you get into a hot vehicle you want to not have the recirculator on that way you get the cooler [outside] air in the vehicle. [Rolling down windows does the same thing. Then you want to put it on recirc because its easier to cool cool air than it is to cool the outside hot air.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Winching

Both fans should turn with the A/C on. It should sound like a jet engine in front of your truck with the A/C on. Check the how-to thread at the top of the page. There is a part number for a brand new replacement motor for the fan. Is the one that is turning just turning slowly, or roaring? If it is turning slowly like a ceiling fan then it needs to be replaced too. I assume your coolant level is fine and is not leaking down? And with a fairly new water pump I would not think that is the problem so I would replace the t-stat next. Cost of a new t-stat and some gasket maker is around 10 bucks. Then you will know it is not the problem. Remember to do the boil test on the new one because I have (and know others who have also) gotten brand new ones that didn't open at the right temp. Also make sure that the fan clutch is engaging properly. If not use Spike's how-to and replace it. Quick and simple procedure. Takes about 30-40 min. That's where I would start tackling this problem. If none of that fixes it I would look at rodding the rad and then the HG's.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Ok so that I have this right: The two black fans behind the grill should both be off when the car is running with the AC off and they should BOTH be ON with the AC running. So it isn't just one running and then the engine gets hot and the second one kicks in? If that is the case it looks like I just have the one dead fan right? The other is spinning quite fast and is very loud. So I just need the one I suppose.

Spencerfinch, good call on the recirc logic. I feel dumb for not thinking of it that way. I guess I assumed recirc on put more strain on the engine and dropped my MPGs. I was also turning it off so I didn't overheat as fast with my current predicament.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Winching

That is correct. With A/C off both fans should be off unless you are running hot and both will kick on. With A/C on both should be running all the time. I forgot to mention that these engines don't handle an overheat well at all. If you are running it to the top of the bracket (even if you are not quite getting in the red) you are running it too hot. If you aren't careful you will trash the engine.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Drifting

I do know that about our engines and I try to get over as soon as I can but I never let it go to long near the top. I will run you over if you get in my way. I can't afford a new engine.

So will this replacement fan solve my overheating problem? Also is the easiest way to swap them out is go through the grill itself?

Quick Reply: 96 Disco Starts to overheat, then calms down