Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   '96 Discovery SD daily driver? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/96-discovery-sd-daily-driver-94021/)

Gerelee 03-23-2019 12:17 PM

'96 Discovery SD worthwhile purchase?

Hello all, I know someone with a manual '96 discovery sd for sale.... 49,000 miles on it, HOWEVER, the rear lift gate window is gone, clutch goes to the floor, 3" of water in right front turn signal, cloth coming loose above windshield. Car has been sitting for 2 years from what I've been told. Body looks good, few dings but otherwise very good shape, motor looks exceptionally clean and I saw no alarming amounts of rust under the car. It won't start, probably because it's been sitting for so long. The guy that owns it has moved to a different state and is looking to sell. IF he can get it running and repair the window, do you think it is a worthwhile purchase? I don't really have a price from him yet but I wouldn't offer more than a few thousand, providing it runs and can pass inspection.
I'm asking because I've not read a lot of GOOD things about the reliability of Land Rovers but I think it's a nice looking car and in damned good shape for a 23 year old car, other than the things I mentioned, lol.

jastutte 03-23-2019 03:42 PM

for a daily driver? No.

a fun project. Absolutely.

if it sat for two years and has the issues that you know about, imagine the unknown issues lurking.

the back window glass alone is going to be expensive.

after rereading, by "rear lift gate window" i assume you are talking about the back door asymmetrically shaped window?

Gerelee 03-23-2019 03:47 PM

That's why I said he'd have to get it running before I'd even consider it as there's no telling what works, or doesn't, in it's present condition. I priced the broken window, yes, the rear door window, and that alone will be almost $400!
Thanks for the advice.

stillruns 03-23-2019 08:06 PM

No. Not a daily driver.

Im not going to throw out a price without seeing photos of the interior and exterior but from what you said I wouldn’t pay much. It’s a 23 year old truck with known issues and Unknown issues. Good luck. Could be a fun weekender.

Nigelw 03-24-2019 03:05 AM

Rear door glass from a parted out motor and the rest you can deal with, no reason why it can't be a daily driver, my 1992 3 door D1 was my daily driver for years until I was given a company van, brought back into service sympathetically with attention paid to bearings, oils and filters and so long as you don't mind getting under it at the weekends then it's cheap to keep on the road too as long as you know what you are looking at.

Not sure where you got the $400 for rear window? I can only assume you are either new to this or put trucks in the shop every time they needs work done?

Gerelee 03-24-2019 05:06 AM

I got the price for the window from the internet though I'm sure I could probably find one in a junkyard with a bit of searching and patience. I also didn't mention that there was some kind of leak coming from the front left side of the car but since it's been sitting there for so long I have no idea what might have leaked in that spot.

ihscouts 03-24-2019 07:17 AM

I drove a beat down 97 daily for eight years and I never missed a day of work because of it. I'm also mechanically gifted, well read, patient, stubborn and curious. The Rover taught me what the terms "Practical and Reliable" really mean. It's gone and I now own a vehicle that can handle extreme weather for an entire winter season in Northern Michigan and pop out the other side with only a loose muffler clamp. As I became more invested in both time and effort where I work the Rover was put in a holding pattern and eventually suffered a rusted death. Rovers are a non-stop effort in parts cost and small to medium problems. They never seem to become wholly functional all at one time because as soon as one problem is addressed another makes itself known. Rather sad because there isn't another vehicle that has a transfer case like the LT230. If you decide to jump in I suggest you copy the venders and individuals I have listed in my signature, there are more but these will get you up and running in a pinch for a pinch.

WeekendWarriors87 03-24-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gerelee (Post 684634)
Hello all, I know someone with a manual '96 discovery sd for sale.... 49,000 miles on it, HOWEVER, the rear lift gate window is gone, clutch goes to the floor, 3" of water in right front turn signal, cloth coming loose above windshield. Car has been sitting for 2 years from what I've been told. Body looks good, few dings but otherwise very good shape, motor looks exceptionally clean and I saw no alarming amounts of rust under the car. It won't start, probably because it's been sitting for so long. The guy that owns it has moved to a different state and is looking to sell. IF he can get it running and repair the window, do you think it is a worthwhile purchase? I don't really have a price from him yet but I wouldn't offer more than a few thousand, providing it runs and can pass inspection.
I'm asking because I've not read a lot of GOOD things about the reliability of Land Rovers but I think it's a nice looking car and in damned good shape for a 23 year old car, other than the things I mentioned, lol.

I will offer what little advice I can. I just bought a 96 that had been sitting for 5 years. Really depends on whether you want to DD it or as a project. Mine was a project, and its been a fun road to fix absolutely everything on it. But I dont know if Ill ever trust this truck as DD, time will tell once its road worthy. Things to look out for are rusty floorboards. Dont be fooled, take a good hard look underneath up at the floorboards and see if theres holes, if he will let you bring a screw driver and remove the plastic door sill trim to have a look, I got tricked on mine because I didnt see hardly any rust but it was bad underneath. Other thing if sitting is things like the brake/fuel lines. Mine were absolutely toast, and its taking a lot of money and time to redo every single line/fitting and rebuild every caliper with new pistons, remachine the rotors, etc. those were the big ones for me in my project. Good luck!

As a side note, I bought mine for 1200 CAD (about 950 USD) in a non running, no brakes, no windows, no sunroofs, mouldy headliner, no door latches, no door locks, no CDL working, condition.

Gerelee 03-24-2019 03:13 PM

Thanks again for the advice. I'm not all that mechanically inclined and my thinking was that this nice looking car was sitting there wasting away and if I could get it for a good price, it would become my only car. I know they are very capable off-road but I'm not so sure about the on road part, :laugh:.
I have full access to the car and am free to check out whatever I like, since it's unlocked and the keys are in it! Pretty crazy.

ihscouts 03-24-2019 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gerelee (Post 684721)
....I'm not all that mechanically inclined and my thinking was that this nice looking car was sitting there wasting away and if I could get it for a good price, it would become my only car......

Those are two diametrically opposing forces being brought to bear on a 23 year old British vehicle that has sat too long. Umm, umm, long tall order.

Gerelee 03-24-2019 04:40 PM

Yeah, it sounds a bit crazy!

ihscouts 03-24-2019 04:44 PM

That fact that you fell in love with it says you may just acquire mad skills while stroking the big sexy, just depends on how bad you want it. (Without getting on the national sex offender registry.)

Gerelee 03-24-2019 04:52 PM

Actually, I wanted a FJ Cruiser but the prices are out of sight, so I started looking at the Discovery more closely and since I see it every day, I started researching it. From what I've gathered, it's a very capable car off road with possibly a lot of issues and, no, I don't intend to do any major off roading but just like knowing that it wouldn't get stuck if I took it on remote roads.

ihscouts 03-24-2019 04:59 PM

Any Toy is over priced, like a Ferrari without valve lash adjustments. With a Rover you have to be very dedicated and I mean VERY.

OverRover 03-24-2019 07:30 PM

Sad but true...………….:cheers: :)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...8a7ff4f765.gif

Gerelee 03-24-2019 07:37 PM

:laugh: I get the message, Spanky! :(

vanbadri 03-25-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gerelee (Post 684727)
Actually, I wanted a FJ Cruiser but the prices are out of sight, so I started looking at the Discovery more closely and since I see it every day, I started researching it. From what I've gathered, it's a very capable car off road with possibly a lot of issues and, no, I don't intend to do any major off roading but just like knowing that it wouldn't get stuck if I took it on remote roads.

Don't do it. From the issues you describe, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for that truck, especially because it has been sitting, meaning there are things that have happened due to disuse which the owner probably doesn't even know about. Someone else mentioned that there are known issues and unknown issues. I'd take it a step further, each of these being a subgroup of the previous one:

1) The actual issues the car has
2) The issues that existed before the car sat for (?) long
3) The issues the owner knows about
4) The issues the owner tells you about

Speaking as hypocritically as I possibly can, don't do it. If you're not going to do serious off-roading, a Honda Civic will get you from one end of a dirt road to the other end. If you haven't worked extensively on cars in the past, there are things wrong with that truck that you can't even imagine. Things are broken and worn out that you don't even know exist, and all of those will be things to fix especially for a daily driver. I know this may sound condescending but I'm speaking from experience. There were things wrong with my first Disco that I didn't even know could go wrong, and unless you're a mechanic by trade or have an unhealthy obsession with old 4x4s (most people on here), you're going to be in the same boat.

Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life. If you can bear to buy a semi-capable 4x4 and just admire Land Rovers from afar, do it. I wish I had.

Gerelee 03-25-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by vanbadri (Post 684791)
Don't do it. From the issues you describe, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for that truck, especially because it has been sitting, meaning there are things that have happened due to disuse which the owner probably doesn't even know about. Someone else mentioned that there are known issues and unknown issues. I'd take it a step further, each of these being a subgroup of the previous one:

1) The actual issues the car has
2) The issues that existed before the car sat for (?) long
3) The issues the owner knows about
4) The issues the owner tells you about

Speaking as hypocritically as I possibly can, don't do it. If you're not going to do serious off-roading, a Honda Civic will get you from one end of a dirt road to the other end. If you haven't worked extensively on cars in the past, there are things wrong with that truck that you can't even imagine. Things are broken and worn out that you don't even know exist, and all of those will be things to fix especially for a daily driver. I know this may sound condescending but I'm speaking from experience. There were things wrong with my first Disco that I didn't even know could go wrong, and unless you're a mechanic by trade or have an unhealthy obsession with old 4x4s (most people on here), you're going to be in the same boat.

Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life. If you can bear to buy a semi-capable 4x4 and just admire Land Rovers from afar, do it. I wish I had.

Well, it seems the majority advise against it, One thing I haven't yet said, was the guy said his father would fix whatever is broken ......BUT, after hearing everyone's advice, it still sounds like a nightmare waiting to invade my dreams. The biggest problem I have is that I see it sitting there every day and it LOOKS good, then again, a LOT of 23 year olds look good!!! LOL

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I certainly don't want to buy it and regret it for as long as I own it.

DavC 03-25-2019 01:49 PM

I drive a 5 speed every day, and have done since 2016.

It is actually for sale. And not trashed.

ihscouts 03-25-2019 05:22 PM

I pass by a deep red 98 Disco twice a day. It's the most perfect Disco I've seen, it's from Northern California. After six years of passing by it I just met the owner at a gas station we both where at. We talked for over an hour and he allowed me to look it over. He has taken exceptional care of it inside and out and had over $10K into keeping it looking and running perfect because like you he is not mechanically inclined. Only once had it rained on his day, the starter quit. So you and I have something in common, we have an eye for the unusual and the exceptional. If the sellers Father is onboard with helping to get it going then I'd say give it a try, what do you have to loose? Just one thing, when and if it works out that he can fix it keep a second car around until your positive its time to drop down to the Disco. You have this forum to back you up.

ihscouts 03-25-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by vanbadri (Post 684791)
.....Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life.....

I don't agree. There are very, very, very few still here from when I started visiting this site back in 08. I can think of maybe 8 members from way back who still own Rovers. I'm not one of them. Owning, wrenching, driving is a passion not an addiction. Nobody I know does this at all cost.......

Crunkgringo 03-25-2019 11:06 PM

I paid $300 for mine with the steering taken part, I had to tow it home. Long story short, it was about $1200 to get it to be driven safely and somewhat reliably and meet the smog requirements in CA. Then I paid another at least $1k for parts and pieces that added up quick like door handles, lights, switches, trim pieces, seat covers, caps, filters and God knows what else. And then my personal favorite. The Engine rebuild about a year after getting it. Yes the machinist I used kind of sucked and I wouldn't go back to him but even with me actually dismantling and putting the motor back together plus the removal and installation being done by me it was still about $2000-2500 for all the parts and machining labor. Mine is a daily driver but even only having it for I think 2 years now (3?) I have put many, many, many hours into labor, research and trial and I am still not done. I admit that selling the old girl comes up in my head often until I take it out into the boonies or am plowing through the snow in it.

In short I advise against it, it will cost you a lot of money even if you were mechanically inclined, but paying someone to work on it? Forget about it!

WaltNYC 03-26-2019 07:02 AM

If you are not mechanically inclined it would be very tough to keep a 23 year old D1 on the road without paying a shop more than the truck is worth. Labor rates are labor rates and they don't care if you drive a $20k Nissan or a $1k Land Rover. And the Land Rover WILL need work. Anything that is 23 years old will need work.

For a DIYer they are great trucks. They are expensive otherwise.

jastutte 03-26-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ihscouts (Post 684847)
I don't agree. There are very, very, very few still here from when I started visiting this site back in 08. I can think of maybe 8 members from way back who still own Rovers. I'm not one of them. Owning, wrenching, driving is a passion not an addiction. Nobody I know does this at all cost.......

i'm going to go out on a limb here, but i think that maybe, just maybe, he was being hyperbolic about Land Rover Discovery owners and making a joke about all of us.

Nigelw 03-26-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gerelee (Post 684804)
Well, it seems the majority advise against it

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I certainly don't want to buy it and regret it for as long as I own it.

Take a look at my blog in my siggy, I'm $$$$$ into my build and it's not yet finished and never really will be.

Why would you regret it? Just think about the fun you can have in it and the bond you can make with an inanimate object LOLZ I have had some horrific lows during my build but also some of the best days out in my life off roading with friends.

I see all the negative comments and often wonder why they are not encouraging you to get on and make a go of it?

Gerelee 03-26-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nigelw (Post 684966)
Take a look at my blog in my siggy, I'm $$$$$ into my build and it's not yet finished and never really will be.

Why would you regret it? Just think about the fun you can have in it and the bond you can make with an inanimate object LOLZ I have had some horrific lows during my build but also some of the best days out in my life off roading with friends.

I see all the negative comments and often wonder why they are not encouraging you to get on and make a go of it?

I would only regret it if it broke .... a lot .... or even a little, since it would be my only vehicle. I agree that it could be a lot of fun, which is why I'm even considering the car but I can't afford to have it not working, more than working ....... and yes, I still am considering it though I haven't talked to the guy that is selling it in a while.

Nigelw 03-26-2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gerelee (Post 684968)
I would only regret it if it broke .... a lot .... or even a little, since it would be my only vehicle. I agree that it could be a lot of fun, which is why I'm even considering the car but I can't afford to have it not working, more than working ....... and yes, I still am considering it though I haven't talked to the guy that is selling it in a while.

Basically it all comes down to maintenance, it'll take a little time and cash to get it on the road but once it's running nice then all you need to do is keep on top of routine maintenance like greasing props, regular oil changes, plugs leads and caps will see 95% of the problems disappear.

I know you can't account for breakdowns but so long as you are keen on looking over your truck and fixing small problems then they never turn into big ones.

Gerelee 03-26-2019 07:26 PM

Thank you, it's nice to hear some encouraging words though I'm sure the discouraging comments are just making sure that I don't go in with my eyes wide shut!

Gerelee 03-26-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nigelw (Post 684966)

Wow, yours really is/was a project! The one I'm considering LOOKS to be in very good shape though looks can be deceiving.

hrhoward 03-28-2019 03:00 PM

I've said it before and still stand behind it, A proper gentleman does not depend on a Rover alone.

My venture into Rover ownership ('97 D1) was not entirely voluntary.
Drinking buddy to my left: "Ya know anyone who wants a Land Rover"
Me: "No. What year?"
DB: "97 Disco"
Me: "Disco?"
DB: "Discovery. I need to get rid of it 'cause I can't take it to the apartments on the arsenal."
Me: "What's wrong with it?"
DB: "Not much, it was running when I parked it in the garage two or so years ago"
Me: "'Fraid I don't know of anyone. I'll ask around. How much are you asking?"
DB: "Nothing, they just need to tow it out of my garage by the end of the month"
Me: "Ok, like I said, I'll ask....."
Me Wife to my right: "We'll take it!"
Me: "Wait, what? We don't need another car, especially one that doesn't...."
Wife: "We'll take it."
DB: "Great!! You're really helping me out. Just let me know when you can come..."
Wife: "How does tomorrow sound?"
DB: "Perfect"
Me: "......Jack, please......"

It is my daily driver. Again.

Gerelee 03-28-2019 04:26 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...cc4e2a6ab5.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...1bac044f8c.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...3789c2309f.jpg
Here are some pics I took of the engine today..... appears to leak steering fluid or at least that's what I think it is.

Nigelw 03-28-2019 05:07 PM

Check the PAS reservoir (the little black bottle with ZF on the cap) and the dip stick inside should be in the middle of the marks.

If not it could be the PAS Steering shaft seals or leaking pipe, they can be rebuilt and I have done so with the use of a speedisleeve to renew the seal landing.

Even if you opt for new they are not silly money and will last another 20+yrs, look at it as an investment.

For the rest full fluids, filters and ignition components and see how it goes, wheel bearings are cheap, prop shaft UJs are cheap, little by little bring it back to life, the biggest killer of these trucks is the rust.

ihscouts 03-28-2019 06:50 PM

Needs the brake fluid changed too..... overall pretty unmolested shape, even has the wheel chock and jack in it's natural home.

Gerelee 03-28-2019 06:56 PM

As I've said, it LOOKS to be in very good shape and if nothing happens soon, it'll be towed away. The owner transferred to a school down south..... doesn't appear that he cares either way.

ihscouts 03-28-2019 07:24 PM

If finding a vehicle that's 23 years old with 49,000 mile on it isn't rare then finding a GEMS equipped Rover with a manual transmission with 49,000 miles is twice as rare.

Gerelee 03-28-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ihscouts (Post 685248)
If finding a vehicle that's 23 years old with 49,000 mile on it isn't rare then finding a GEMS equipped Rover with a manual transmission with 49,000 miles is twice as rare.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a GEMS?

ihscouts 03-28-2019 07:38 PM

General Engine Management System, it's using a Crank Sensor and a trigger wheel on the flywheel instead of a distributor to fire the spark plugs while the Engine Control Unit is advancing and retarding the spark timing. It's more precise and reliable. If you bought this and couldn't manage to get it running you could still sell it for a profit because of the mileage and it's a manual, they're fairly uncommon. It would be sitting in my barn right now getting the loving it deserves if it wasn't SO FAR AWAY!!!!!!

Gerelee 03-28-2019 08:40 PM

Wow, thank you for the info, good to know and I'm going to talk to him about buying it then..... if the price is right!

WaltNYC 03-29-2019 08:25 AM

The engine bay appears to be quite unmolested. That is a very good thing.

This truck is worth something to the dedicated Rover lover (I'm one of them). Your level of willingness to buy some tools and get dirty will be the deciding factor.

You can certainly rely on this board for help, guidance and advice.

In what region of the country is this truck located? (no need to be overly specific)

vanbadri 03-29-2019 08:38 AM

Okay so in fairness I got wrapped up in my philosiphizing and forgot that you mentioned it has 49,000 miles on it. Keeping mind everything I said above, if I were you, I'd buy it. Especially if it's a five-speed. They're extremely rare and the low mileage means there are certain things we're all used to dealing with on high mileage Discos that you won't have to worry about for years to come. Now of course there are other things that you'll have to worry about due to the fact that it's been sitting, but it's not like a total engine rebuild is coming down the pipeline in a few thousand miles. I'm not entirely sure how the R380 is designed but the clutch going to the floor is most likley a bad slave cylinder. Easy peasy. The engine-bay does look unmolested, which is very good, however a puddle on the ground in that area could also easily be the transmission cooler pipe unions going into the radiator leaking, meaning the trans may be low on fluid...

If I were you I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm mechanically inclined and now have a wealth of experience on rovers. If you can plan to work on it yourself, do it. Discovery 1's are fairly easy to work on and it could be a good introduction for a budding backyard mechanic (LOTS of things to fix :) ). If you're going to take it to a shop and ask "how much to fix everything," your mechanic is going to get Mr. Krabs dollar-sign-eyes and you'll need to sell your organs to pay the bill.