Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Discovery SD daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '96 Discovery SD worthwhile purchase?

Hello all, I know someone with a manual '96 discovery sd for sale.... 49,000 miles on it, HOWEVER, the rear lift gate window is gone, clutch goes to the floor, 3" of water in right front turn signal, cloth coming loose above windshield. Car has been sitting for 2 years from what I've been told. Body looks good, few dings but otherwise very good shape, motor looks exceptionally clean and I saw no alarming amounts of rust under the car. It won't start, probably because it's been sitting for so long. The guy that owns it has moved to a different state and is looking to sell. IF he can get it running and repair the window, do you think it is a worthwhile purchase? I don't really have a price from him yet but I wouldn't offer more than a few thousand, providing it runs and can pass inspection.
I'm asking because I've not read a lot of GOOD things about the reliability of Land Rovers but I think it's a nice looking car and in damned good shape for a 23 year old car, other than the things I mentioned, lol.

Last edited by Gerelee; 03-23-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: title
Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

for a daily driver? No.

a fun project. Absolutely.

if it sat for two years and has the issues that you know about, imagine the unknown issues lurking.

the back window glass alone is going to be expensive.

after rereading, by "rear lift gate window" i assume you are talking about the back door asymmetrically shaped window?

Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Overlanding

That's why I said he'd have to get it running before I'd even consider it as there's no telling what works, or doesn't, in it's present condition. I priced the broken window, yes, the rear door window, and that alone will be almost $400!
Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

No. Not a daily driver.

Im not going to throw out a price without seeing photos of the interior and exterior but from what you said I wouldn’t pay much. It’s a 23 year old truck with known issues and Unknown issues. Good luck. Could be a fun weekender.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear door glass from a parted out motor and the rest you can deal with, no reason why it can't be a daily driver, my 1992 3 door D1 was my daily driver for years until I was given a company van, brought back into service sympathetically with attention paid to bearings, oils and filters and so long as you don't mind getting under it at the weekends then it's cheap to keep on the road too as long as you know what you are looking at.

Not sure where you got the $400 for rear window? I can only assume you are either new to this or put trucks in the shop every time they needs work done?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 AM
Overlanding

I got the price for the window from the internet though I'm sure I could probably find one in a junkyard with a bit of searching and patience. I also didn't mention that there was some kind of leak coming from the front left side of the car but since it's been sitting there for so long I have no idea what might have leaked in that spot.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I drove a beat down 97 daily for eight years and I never missed a day of work because of it. I'm also mechanically gifted, well read, patient, stubborn and curious. The Rover taught me what the terms "Practical and Reliable" really mean. It's gone and I now own a vehicle that can handle extreme weather for an entire winter season in Northern Michigan and pop out the other side with only a loose muffler clamp. As I became more invested in both time and effort where I work the Rover was put in a holding pattern and eventually suffered a rusted death. Rovers are a non-stop effort in parts cost and small to medium problems. They never seem to become wholly functional all at one time because as soon as one problem is addressed another makes itself known. Rather sad because there isn't another vehicle that has a transfer case like the LT230. If you decide to jump in I suggest you copy the venders and individuals I have listed in my signature, there are more but these will get you up and running in a pinch for a pinch.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerelee
Hello all, I know someone with a manual '96 discovery sd for sale.... 49,000 miles on it, HOWEVER, the rear lift gate window is gone, clutch goes to the floor, 3" of water in right front turn signal, cloth coming loose above windshield. Car has been sitting for 2 years from what I've been told. Body looks good, few dings but otherwise very good shape, motor looks exceptionally clean and I saw no alarming amounts of rust under the car. It won't start, probably because it's been sitting for so long. The guy that owns it has moved to a different state and is looking to sell. IF he can get it running and repair the window, do you think it is a worthwhile purchase? I don't really have a price from him yet but I wouldn't offer more than a few thousand, providing it runs and can pass inspection.
I'm asking because I've not read a lot of GOOD things about the reliability of Land Rovers but I think it's a nice looking car and in damned good shape for a 23 year old car, other than the things I mentioned, lol.
I will offer what little advice I can. I just bought a 96 that had been sitting for 5 years. Really depends on whether you want to DD it or as a project. Mine was a project, and its been a fun road to fix absolutely everything on it. But I dont know if Ill ever trust this truck as DD, time will tell once its road worthy. Things to look out for are rusty floorboards. Dont be fooled, take a good hard look underneath up at the floorboards and see if theres holes, if he will let you bring a screw driver and remove the plastic door sill trim to have a look, I got tricked on mine because I didnt see hardly any rust but it was bad underneath. Other thing if sitting is things like the brake/fuel lines. Mine were absolutely toast, and its taking a lot of money and time to redo every single line/fitting and rebuild every caliper with new pistons, remachine the rotors, etc. those were the big ones for me in my project. Good luck!

As a side note, I bought mine for 1200 CAD (about 950 USD) in a non running, no brakes, no windows, no sunroofs, mouldy headliner, no door latches, no door locks, no CDL working, condition.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Overlanding

Thanks again for the advice. I'm not all that mechanically inclined and my thinking was that this nice looking car was sitting there wasting away and if I could get it for a good price, it would become my only car. I know they are very capable off-road but I'm not so sure about the on road part, .
I have full access to the car and am free to check out whatever I like, since it's unlocked and the keys are in it! Pretty crazy.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerelee
....I'm not all that mechanically inclined and my thinking was that this nice looking car was sitting there wasting away and if I could get it for a good price, it would become my only car......
Those are two diametrically opposing forces being brought to bear on a 23 year old British vehicle that has sat too long. Umm, umm, long tall order.

Quick Reply: '96 Discovery SD daily driver?