Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Discovery SE7 - Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Discovery SE7 - Should I?

I'm new to this forum but was on the rangerovers.net forums for a while when I had my p38. I had always regretted selling it, but with gas prices and the amount of leaks it had I figured it was time....

So recently I came across a 96 Disco SE7 with a manual tranny. I don't know too much about the Discos, so I was wanting to ask the experts their opinion.

This truck has 147k mi on it, its the V8 with the manual transmission. It has a 2in lift, ladder, basket, safari lights, bush guard with mounted lights, running boards, the works. All of the features work, windows, locks, AC/Heat, etc.

The bad is he "wired" things in and its a rats nest of random non-stock cables, the alarm is iffy when it is armed at times (not sure if its due to the wiring), power steering leak that appears to shoot fluid across the alternator and to the other side of the hood when you turn the wheel hard, and a small transfer case or oil leak near the transfer case.

The guy is interesting in trading for a 06 Scion xB I have (I will be moving up North early next year and need something 4x4 and that can tow) + a little cash from him. I am mechanically inclined, and I do know how Land Rovers are... Just not sure if I should do the deal or not.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven it? Make sure you take note of the condition of the synchro's between 1st and 2nd gears. They were weak from the factory and often are shot. (Not that this should keep you from buying the truck...you just need to learn to double clutch between 1 and 2. Maybe this can get you a better price...)

I absolutely love my '96 D1 with the 5-speed, but I don't know that a straight up trade for an '06 xB is fair to you. If the truck is mechanically sound, in good shape (other than the wiring), and has NO rust, then it might be worth $2000-$2500 if you really like it.

I'd look REALLY hard for rust. Beyond the extremely obvious spots, you need to pull the carpets in the front foot wells and feel for moisture, also pull the door sill plates and look under each (including the rear cargo hatch sill plate and cargo area carpet. Make sure to poke hard at the seam in the front wheel wells where the top edge of the foot wells meet the bottom edge of the firewall (inside the truck this is up behind the foot pedals). These are the major spots that I've seen rot out really badly. (Again, finding rust doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the truck...it just lets you know what you're getting in to and gives you something to bargain with on the price.)

The power steering leak could very well just be old hoses...Atlantic British stocks replacement kits. You can probably work around the alarm (search for "Disco Alarm Spider" over on Discweb), and if the other leaks are 'small' then it's just the Disco reminding you that it's a Rover that hasn't run out of fluids yet. (LOL)

All of that said, I'd also suggest having a backup transportation plan. (Face it. It's a 18 year old truck that someone has almost certainly off-roaded...maybe hard. It doesn't matter how well you take care of it, something is going to fail eventually. Don't be upset, or surprised.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At that milage its due for head gasket job also. If you do it yourself it's about an 8 hour job. If you have to have a shop do it it's a 2500 job... Just finished my 3rd.

x2 on the syncros, my 5speed in my 95 had the talked about issue...

Also, due for cats/ypipe

Check out the drive train seals, front and back for leaks fact check for leaks everywhere!

There can be a host of other issues at that milage/age... these trucks didn't age well. Plus once you do get it up and running at 80% (will never be 100) you'll find that it's a 14mpg truck or lower at best.