Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   96 discovery Transfer case shifter issue - Video included (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/96-discovery-transfer-case-shifter-issue-video-included-92076/)

mware18 11-07-2018 05:35 PM

96 discovery Transfer case shifter issue - Video included

Hi all! I have a 96 SE that I have been working through over the past few months. Have steering and suspension items replaced and now moving on to 4x4 issue.

Truck moves just fine in Drive although T case lever moves as if it is in Neutral. I know that if it was actually in N if would not move. I am not able to move lever into any position. (High/Low - Unlocked/Locked). It only moves left and right as if in Neutral.

from under car, I can see the left/right movement but see only a slight movement when trying to select low/high.

Thanks for any help.

ihscouts 11-07-2018 07:34 PM

You need to be moving around 5 mph with trans in Neutral or try Neutral, Drive then Neutral to select Low (forward), it's just the nature of a gear to gear box, it's bound up and needs to unspool through the transmission. Only Lock it when on dirt, gravel or snow or testing on pavement while traveling in a straight line for a short distance. When the transfer case is Locked there should be light on the dash.

stillruns 11-07-2018 07:56 PM

Yep. Need to be rolling some. Like he said, in a straight line or terrain. No pavement in Low.

mware18 11-07-2018 09:54 PM

I’m guessing I’m currently in high unlocked. I am fine with it there for day to day driving but want the option to move it to low and possibly lock if needed.

So so I need to roll forward and try to move it to low. I’ll give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks

Icannap1 11-07-2018 10:21 PM

That doesn't look right it seems that you have 3 positions side to side it should only be 2 left is lock and right is unlocked then you should also have 3 positions forward to rear that would be low at the furthest forward position neutral center and high towards the back. You will need to look closely at the linkage.

mware18 11-08-2018 08:05 AM

I have looked at the linkage from underneath and everything is connected. I had someone move the shifter left and right and I can see the selector moving to two positions but when he tries to move forward there is nothing the other lever does not move. I can see a very slight movement. Hard to tell if anything is bent from under the car. Definitely a tight space. I guess next step is to try rolling as mentioned above and take out the center console and see what is going on.

My only thought on 3 positions is that it is in some type of bind and the middle position is where it rests with no pressure applied.

I find it odd that it moves left to right as in the video at all times.

Icannap1 11-08-2018 10:37 AM

If you put the shifter in neutral while the engine is running then shift the transfer case lever to the middle from the left to right motion then shift the shifter to D will it move forward or just rev when you press the accelerator?

mware18 11-08-2018 10:43 AM

It will move forward. I can not move the shifter to any spot where it just revs.

I will try again this afternoon when I get home and see if I can get it to move while in neutral at 5 mph.

whiskeynipple0088 11-08-2018 04:12 PM

it does appear to have 3 positions side to side as noted by Icannap1

(dam pic wont upload) Refer to Allbrit parts diagram
Allbrit MG ROVER & Land Rover Ersatzteilkatalog
transfer box - LT230 - gear change manual

for the following:
I had bolt no. 5 (see pic) come loose a while back while wheeling and think this may be 1 part of the issue (and causing the 3 positions). So instead of rod 13 piviting rod 18 - rod 13 just slides over.
the other may be seized linkage for the low range
I had to remove the console and drill out the F-ing rivits of the boot to get to the top of the case. The console can be tricky and is likely brittle now so be patient - It will be a combo of moving the auto shifter and ebrake till you find the way it wants to come out IIRC.

mware18 11-08-2018 05:00 PM

I soaked everything down with wd40 and tried the 5 mph roll and still get no movement/ lights. Nothing.

So now I have a weekend project. Console coming out and taking a look from the top. Has to be in some type of bind and the rod will not move.

i would love to have a fully functional 4wd.