Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 disco gas pedal spring sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 disco gas pedal spring sticking

I am new to Land Rover and I just picked up a 97 that is standard shift which was a non runner. I rewired the sender unit and now it runs but the gas pedal will not return. I checked the linkage and the cable and they are fine but the spring which is at the pivot point in the gas pedal seems to be keeping it from returning. Also there seems to be water coming in around the firewall,would this mean the is a plugged drain somewhere up front thanks .

Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sunroof drains often clog and cause problems. Also the seals around the windshields can leak also causing problems. Previous owners may have done water crossings as well.

I have a 97 I bought in 2007 and have steadily worked my way thru basic PO neglect/abuse. My simple advice is go ahead and remove all carpets and pads to see what conditions they are hiding. Also to get to the sunroof drains you will need to remove the headliner. This will allow good inspection of the drain tubes as well as the sunroof frame. Mine had a leak at the corner where the frames intersect. It is sealed at the factory with a caulking type sealant, but mine was dripping right there. The drain tubes were fine. They route directly into the posts at the front corners of the windshield.

Also go ahead and download the zipped version of the RAVE for total documentation package free. It is in some signatures on here.

Welcome to the World of Discovery, hope you make a Full Recovery, It is an Addiction, if you survive the initial SHOCK!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Thanks someone had already taken out the front carpet ,and there is no sunroof thankfully,I did notice the foam againest the firewall was soaked and assume it might be the drains around the bottom of the windshield . I would love to download some more information ,but I am not much for computers except the simple stuff. How do I find it ?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Mudding

thanks i will also do you know if epoxy steel will work on a small crack in the exhaust manifold?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What exactly did you re-wire?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Mudding

someone was at the sender unit and distroyed the plug for the gauge and fuel pump wires, they had four seperate wires with new connectors on them except for one because they could not find the lead ,after removing the unit and cleaning it i found the forth lead,then found a similar connector from a volvo wire harness and put that on in its place then the truck fired right up. I am curiuos what the recall was on the gas tanks on those trucks and if this one had been done .

Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coldstart
someone was at the sender unit and distroyed the plug for the gauge and fuel pump wires, they had four seperate wires with new connectors on them except for one because they could not find the lead ,after removing the unit and cleaning it i found the forth lead,then found a similar connector from a volvo wire harness and put that on in its place then the truck fired right up. I am curiuos what the recall was on the gas tanks on those trucks and if this one had been done .
You should be able to call a dealership with your VIN and they can look up to see if the recall affected yours and if it was done.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The recall was for a defective gas tank.