Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 DISCO over heating saga

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your set of parts may work better than my set. But a scanner will let you know for sure. Try parking on steep incline, and running engine when COLD with coolant jug cap off. Let it warm up and run at 1500 rpm or so, some say this brings all the bubbles to the high spot where they can escape. And I would guess that if you do have a trapped pocket of air, which might be pushed around by the coolant, that when it finds the way to the sensors - things would rise quickly.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe your sensor is giving a different reading for the normal - but a scanner will tell for sure. Now you should not notice a change in temp when running at highway speeds with AC on or off, unless radiator is marginal.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will do. What type of scanning do you use? When at highway speeds the ac dose not make the temp go up... But once I'm OFF the highway BAM it will go up to the 66% area.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
I will do. What type of scanning do you use? When at highway speeds the ac dose not make the temp go up... But once I'm OFF the highway BAM it will go up to the 66% area.
Next time that happens pull over and open the hood and hold your hand towards the middle of the running engine, do you feel air moving?
There whould be enough air moving to blow your hair around like you are standing next to a, are you ready...fan.
It is possible to put the fan on backwards when replacing the fan clutch.
If this happens you will not know it at speed, only at idle.
The DI cooling system is a very efficient and well designed system so it takes alot to mess it up.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

A wimpy plastic bag held next to the grille should be sucked toward the grill, not blown away from the vehicle. Do test with engine running. AC off. Do test again with engine off, AC turned on (electric fans running). In both cases air should be pulled into grille, not blown away from it.

Cupped side of fan blades should be toward engine block. I would suppose if fan were backwards, there might be a slow speed where wrong fan direction plus moving air flow equals zero.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-29-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Winching

I will check that.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would def check for gases in the coolant. I had an intermittent over heat problem that was hard to track down. I replaced my reservoir cap, my water pump, my t-stat, my hoses, my e-fans, my fan clutch, and pulled my rad and had it tested and acid washed. The only thing left is a HG which I plan on doing sometime in the near future. Testing for gases early on would have saved me a ton. Of course alot of that needed to be replaced at somepoint anyway but testing it is cheap. Do that before you go any farther.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Winching

I took a plastic bag and it was being sucked in towards the grill... I will contact autozone ( I think thats who I heard had the test ) for the exhaust in the coolant.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Winching

I was wondering what the radiator was made out of ( copper, steel ect) a
Also, can you re-core them?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can recore them but sometimes finding a place can be a pain because some places are flat out scared of the name Land Rover and won't even touch them.

Quick Reply: 97 DISCO over heating saga