Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco replacing fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Disco replacing fuel lines

I noticed a small leak today that was gas it was running down the frame in the left wheel arch. I noticed that the fuel lines run on top of the frame and you really can's even see them .What kind of chore is it to replace them and what is the best line to use thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Talk to DannyLee, he replaced his from the fuel tank to the engine.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got to love this forum! It just so happens that I to am getting ready to replace one of my fuel lines in my disco, and need advice on the procedure!!! I'm all ears

I'll send Dannylee a pm to lol

Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Start with a search and you should be able to find my previous write-up, with lots of details and pics.

A summary follows: get a 25 foot coil of steel fuel line (5/16 diameter), forget about removing and replacing using the same routing and clamps. The old fuel line rusts really bad at each clamp.

Start at the fuel pump cover plate. Remove the existing lines, you may have to cut them off. I also replaced my fuel pump assembly at that time with a new one from Rovers North their ProLine for 100 bucks total plug and play.

I feed a few feet at a time thru the opening, forming by hand as I went careful not to kink the tubing. I have since seen a set of special pliers for forming the tubing that will prevent kinking.

Forget about the original fuel filter location as well. I routed mine straight forward and over the large round member underneath then turned outboard toward the frame, went over the top of the frame, located the fuel filter along the side of the frame, temporarily supported with cable ties. I followed the frame member forward to the engine compartment then up and splice into the rubber lines right at the fuel rail.

A 25 foot coil will do both the feed and return lines with a foot or two to spare. Buy fuel injection rated clamps and some fuel rated rubber hoses to splice in the fuel filter and the connections at the tank as well.

I did mine by myself, having a second person would be a big help since you have to feed it from the rear cargo area and pull it from underneath a little bit at a time. about fifty to 100 times up and down should get it done.

Buy good beer and fine sipping whiskey as well.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I'm not all that informed on drinking... which do I start with? Is there a write up on this as well?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

For a diabetic you drink alot, you know that will kill you right?
The alcohol messes up your sugar and when you are drunk you cannot regulate yourself with insulin.
And not to mention diabetes already puts extra strain on your liver and pancreases....I'm just sayin'...(it runs in my family and I have lost several family members to it)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not on insulin, lost 50 pounds by careful intake and blood sugar is fine now. I avoid sugar. Get lots of exercise.. That is why I say Good Beer and Fine Sipping Whiskey, appreciate it in moderation.

Spike, I do appreciate your concern as well. Glad to have it, my friend.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Good for you Danny.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The blue handled pliers are probably what Danny is talking about.
Name:  flaring_bending_tools.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  32.1 KB

I can assure you they work great.
For a bit better corrosion resistance NAPA has copper coated steel tubing in bulk

Old 05-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do this in a driveway or did you have acess to a hoist ,I am glad to hear you did not follow the same path ,it seems a bit obsurd I guess they would rather you have the dealer do it . Would one of those spring benders help at all and how did you fasten it to wherever Thanks

Quick Reply: 97 Disco replacing fuel lines