Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco windsheild replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 97 Disco windsheild replacement cost

So as the title suggests, I'm seeing what people have paid to get their windshield replaced. One place told me that the side trim is real expensive and has to be replaced when the windshield is replaced. I don't remember ever getting a windshield that didn't cost $200 installed but one place that I have gone to a bit (highway 80 up here is rough on windshields) said that it was going to be like $600... right. My windshield isn't that broken but it leaks and all this California rain is reminding me that it needs to be fixed sooner than later.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

I've been through it a couple of times and have the following thoughts.

- Try to fix the leak simply first. I've used a Permatex product successfully.
Amazon Amazon

Squeeze it under the trim along the roof line. It flows into the cavities in the glue which holds the windshield in place. Depending on the severity, you may need two tubes.

If you must remove/replace....

- the surrounds are stupid expensive here in the U.S. Order them from LRDirect.com. Part numbers are:
AWR2023
AWR2024
AWR2025
AWR1512

- If you are contemplating removal and re-install it is very tricky NOT to break the glass. Good glass is more difficult to find. Autolite would only install a piece of glass with a blue tint across the top. This does not work well in a Discovery with a low roof line vs high seat position. I hated it. Also, the glass Autolite used was less robust than standard. Avoid Autolite despite the attractive glass pricing.

- Glass coverage on our trucks is something like $6-8/month. I had some bad luck but am still not sure it is a bargain given how rarely there are problems.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Paid $100 through my insurance using Safelite.
While their service was great (botched 1st install, came right back out and put a new one in), they did also install one with a blue tint across the top. Being 6'6, its very annoying.

The surrounds should run around 200$ for a set.

As stated above,glass coverage is cheap. Mine covers any chips I get, and if any of the chips start to spread they will replace the entire windshield.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Anyone ever squeezed tubes of Permatex between the roof and sunroof glass with success? Would it seal the gap around the sunroof completely or is it to big a gap and it would take 10 tubes?

thanks

Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Anyone ever squeezed tubes of Permatex between the roof and sunroof glass with success? Would it seal the gap around the sunroof completely or is it to big a gap and it would take 10 tubes?

thanks
Yes, people seal those like that.
I'd rather just fix the leak and retain a working sunroof, or install a panel there and get rid of it entirely.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, cool so they weren't just trying to avoid doing the install. The leak is bad on the windshield. It is basically leaking at the seal on the whole bottom part. I sealed it once and it lasted a few months in the rainy season but the amount of snow, rain and hail we have had in the last month was too much for my repair. Sure am glad I don't have sunroofs though...

Last edited by Crunkgringo; 03-12-2019 at 08:18 PM.