Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 discovery as mud truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 discovery as mud truck

Ok ...I'm looking to set up a truck as my hunting buggy/wheeling truck. It will see a lot of logging roads but I also will you it for light to medium mud runs running 33inch tsl boggers door deep mud an pulling out f150s. I'm considering buying a discovery to do this with. My first concern is how hard is it to get 33s on the truck, can the drive train an motor stand up to door deep mud an pulling other trucks out. Also how bad is it to keep these trucks going ie monthly budget to keep every thing working. Won't be a daily driver just a weekend truck. So would a discovery be worth looking into at all for this? Any information is helpful thank you for your time.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i found the truck youre really after...

Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletchz
Ok ...I'm looking to set up a truck as my hunting buggy/wheeling truck. It will see a lot of logging roads but I also will you it for light to medium mud runs running 33inch tsl boggers door deep mud an pulling out f150s. I'm considering buying a discovery to do this with. My first concern is how hard is it to get 33s on the truck, can the drive train an motor stand up to door deep mud an pulling other trucks out. Also how bad is it to keep these trucks going ie monthly budget to keep every thing working. Won't be a daily driver just a weekend truck. So would a discovery be worth looking into at all for this? Any information is helpful thank you for your time.
Wow, really?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well was trying to decide between a bronco an a discovery cause I like the look an interior of the discovery more.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like a question for discoweb.

Mudding is a lot of abuse and will be expensive. You'll want a strong drivetrain so lockers, HD axles, and Tom Woods drive shaft may be required. You'll need good mud tires too. 255/85/r16 will fit the stock rims, are 33", and will dig into the mud better than fat tires. To fit big tires you'll need to lift and/or cut the fenders. All that adds up to a lot of money, but it's been done many times.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell

Mudding is a lot of abuse and will be expensive. You'll want a strong drivetrain so lockers, HD axles, and Tom Woods drive shaft may be required. You'll need good mud tires too. 255/85/r16 will fit the stock rims, are 33", and will dig into the mud better than fat tires. To fit big tires you'll need to lift and/or cut the fenders. All that adds up to a lot of money, but it's been done many times.
Some of this is true.. Mudding isnt as much abuse as playing in the rocks because your more likely to spin before you break something.

If I were you I'd run 2" lift, 33" swamper and see where that gets you. If you're not happy, go bigger tires, lower gears, HD axles.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Are you just trying to throw this guy under a bus for amusement? Lol

Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

As much as I love Rovers, you are needing more of a full size Bronco or Blazer, stay away from the Discos.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
As much as I love Rovers, you are needing more of a full size Bronco or Blazer, stay away from the Discos.

I would generally agree but I'd rather see a Disco with a sweet axle/engine swap made more capable than a Bronco or Blazer..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I am with Mike on this one. A disco will be very expensive to maintain as a mudder.

Quick Reply: 97 discovery as mud truck