Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 discovery as mud truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of grand or so a month might do if you take it easy and do not treat it too hard. If you are rough on it, it could easily be more.

Years ago (early 80's) I had a Dodge RamCharger with a big block, a lift kit and Mickey Thompson 35's on it. It would go almost anywhere except past a gas station. It got 8mpg in HIGH and 2 to 4 mpg in LOW. Good thing I was less than 5 miles from work. On payday, I had to go to the gas station and fill up the 50 gallon saddle tanks just to get thru the week.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Check out this badass watercar:
WaterCar - Amphibious Car Python Edition at Lake Havasu and Newport Beach CA "American Deamin" - YouTube

Or this Argo 8X8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzyEq...eature=related

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-20-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Default Defender makes it thru the mud!

Check out this Defender getting out of the MUD!:

land rover defender does well to get out of the pit at hill n ditch - YouTube

And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=940gq...eature=related

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot
I am with Mike on this one. A disco will be very expensive to maintain as a mudder.
Man you guys have no faith in vehicles that you own. From what it sounds like this guy would likely be fine with 32-33" swampers and a heavy foot. He's not gonna break much but maybe some diffs and if they are stock so what they are $50..

Now building a disco to compete with that bronco on 44's... yea it's gonna be expensive but once again I'd rather have a Disco on Portals/Danas than a Bronco or Blazer.. All you need is money (of course) a welder and the know how and you'll already be a head of the game.

It's gonna be expensive if you go crazy BUT it's gonna be expensive if you go crazy and break **** no matter what you're driving. It's the nature of the best and a small part of the fun in the hobby.

Now go break something!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Default Check out the 1966 Ford Galaxie 4X4

Awesome Galaxie:
1966 Ford Galaxy 850Hp 4x4 Truck BarnYard Boggers at The Good times 4x4's June 7th 2009
1966 Ford Galaxy 850Hp 4x4 Truck BarnYard Boggers at The Good times 4x4's June 7th 2009 - YouTube

Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that sounds like a no on the disco lol. Yeah would only be 31-33 all I need for what I'm doing. Will be a skinny super swamper tsl bigger.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking at riding on muddy trails because that is all you have in your neck of the woods, then the Disco would be fine. But if you are wanting to bog through 2-3 feet of thick mud, you'll want a different vehicle that will be easier to modify for your needs and with a ready source of parts.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah would be 2-3 feet of swampy sticky mud I'm on the west cast (Canada bc)

Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Man you guys have no faith in vehicles that you own. ............
I have so much faith in my Land Rover (and my driving skills), that I have challenged many braggers to : "I will follow your STOCK suv/truck anywhere. I don't care if it comes with the latest "smart traction" or factory installed diff blockers and any more whistles, I will make it where you make it."
However, when it comes to modify the rig, I would rather have something with more readily available parts.
My LR is stock. For reliability and road manners, I believe in 2" to 2.5" inch lift and the largest tires that can accommodate with that lift.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM

I agree a good condition Discovery will go thru some amazing terrain. However, if you are going to basically abuse it or hammer it hard to go thru mostly deep sticky mud, any vehicle has it's limits.
I can get just about anything stuck.
A friend of mine has an EXMOD Series that is pretty amazing stock. That is him in the first three pics below. The fourth pic is me in my Disco after crossing that mudhole. The perspective of the picture does not do justice to the size of the mud puddle. The last pic is a stock DII that got stuck in that mudhole just before I got to it. I was right behind him, watched him get stuck then finally work his way out after severely tearing up the bottom of the mudhole. He kept working it in reverse then drive, and he has had several, but his DII did not have the CDL.

When it was clear, I put mine in LOW LOCK left the tranny in second gear, got a rolling start to build momentum, and went right thru. It did sink down a little when I got to the place where Dave was stuck but I put my foot in it and went right on thru. I never lost my momentum, I hit the puddle with a steady plunge since I had witnessed what Dave did. When it got nasty, I merely romped on it and without hesitation I was churning right on thru. Mud Flew Everywhere. Everyone there said I did the best crossing of the day.

I grew up in central Georgia and was used to driving in red clay mud with hopped up two wheel drives way before 4wd's were common. Throw a couple of fat girls in the back of the van and keep the RPM"S up. Just a pig in the mud at heart.

Attached Thumbnails 97 discovery as mud truck-john-mud-snow.jpg   97 discovery as mud truck-mod-water.jpg   97 discovery as mud truck-mod-creek.jpg   97 discovery as mud truck-after-mudhole.jpg   97 discovery as mud truck-dave-stuck.jpg  

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-21-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 discovery as mud truck