Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

potential disco buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential disco buyer

i drove a discovery 1 while my subarus clutch was being replaced, and i fell in love with the thing. the same disco now has an over heating problem, steering rack leak and rod knock. ive been given the oppurtunity to buy it as a project car, and i was wondering what you guys might think about it.
bads: the engine was starved of oil and as developed rod knock, it over heats but isnt consistent about it, and somewhere its losing power steering fluid.
the interior isnt great, and the paint is trashed, hardly any of the windows work either....
now its owner is my roomate and ive worked on this disco to the best of my ability as these problems developed
this will take over daily duties as my wrx undergoes an engine and transmission swap.

so what do you guys think, should i take this off of him or find a better one to invest in.
i havent flat out asked him what he wants for it, because if its a lost cause im not gonna bother.

any thoughts and opinion would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a disco in that condition is pretty much a parts truck, 200 for what you would put into it you could get a decent one cheaper.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
4wd Low

thats what i was thinking, i just thought that since i know for sure whats going on, i might have an edge over guessing whats wrong, im essentially the only mechanic its ever seen. i watched it being delivered and worked on it since

Last edited by gott-wagons; 11-23-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even if you fixed the mechanical stuff, you're still left with a crappy looking truck. if you have a fixer upper you want to at least have something good to look forward to. I bought mine for 1100 ran good, interior good, a few rust spots on roof, ended up doing head gaskets. Next time I will spend the time and money to find one in pristine condition, they are out there, these were expensive trucks so there are those ones that spent their whole life garaged and dealer maintained. If you can find them, you are money ahead in my book.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
4wd Low

i appreciate the advice

i guess i just hate to see it sit out there and rot, hes living with his girl now, and its in my yard because hes to afraid the motor will go completely. well i may have a parts truck for you guys soon!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would offer to take it off his hands for free, once the title is yours replace the rod bearings, the water pump, fan clutch and thermostat and then drive the thing.
I bet you can have it back on the road for $500.
Then take it to MACCO and get a crap paint job and call it good.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

scew MAACO you can get 20 cans of flat black from wal mart for $20 all you need is an orbital sander from HF for $20 and some pads for $3. $43 paint job for the win!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
scew MAACO you can get 20 cans of flat black from wal mart for $20 all you need is an orbital sander from HF for $20 and some pads for $3. $43 paint job for the win!
yep, although I'd do satin black...

I'd go the free route, as well... who knows, once you really get into the engine you may hate Rovers, or, the polar opposite may happen.

I paid $1700.00 for my 95 and drove it 3.5 hours home.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gott-wagons
thats what i was thinking, i just thought that since i know for sure whats going on, i might have an edge over guessing whats wrong, im essentially the only mechanic its ever seen. i watched it being delivered and worked on it since

So why is it in such bad shape then? Why did you let it get oil starved?

It would be a good daily driver only if you don't really have anywhere you have to be that day.

Buy it ,you might enjoy it.

Offer him Fifty Bucks Cash Money.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oil starvation is a bad thing. There is a slight possibility you can overhaul the engine, but combine that with overheating and I would say the block is done..

Price an engine. That shoudl tell you if you want it or not. Plan on getting a new radiator and all new accessories for it. If your numbers are still around what you wanted to spend, minus your labor, make your choice.

Personally, I would rather get a crap one for nothing and build it how I want than buy someone else's good looking problem child... Just because it is pretty and $4k doesn't mean it is a good truck...

Quick Reply: potential disco buyer