Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 engine for 95

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Slightly crazy.....hmmm. Loose?
only in the mind Scout, only in the mind.....

Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just drop a 383 stroker in it and call it good, that what imma gonna do!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Disco_Driver
just drop a 383 stroker in it and call it good, that what imma gonna do!
How much have you thought this out? I mean it's doable but man does it take some serious time to work out all the transplant issues. For instance how are you gonna make the dash card work? That's just one of many to work out.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
HCF
Overlanding

I have not put any real research into this except for a quick glance at the Rave electrical section ( did not feel like tackling that ) so I decided to pose my question here first before starting another unfinished project .
I have changed many wiring harnesses but in things like my 1700 IH 4x4 Load Star or a old Ford . I will admit there is more wire and computing power of these Discos than what was used ( to shower Death and Destruction ) in a mid70s era ballistic missiles that I serviced while in the Air Force.
I really do like the way this 97 engine runs and the 95 unit may have never been right while I have owned it so I may be bias . If I was to use the 97 unit I do not want the 95 engine management . So it sounds Like it would be a big electrical job witch is doable just time consuming . Remember this is just for a yard truck so basic functions only are needed .
It sounds like I should 1: Repair the engine in the 95 ? 2: Find a new donor truck ? 3 Get rid of all my D1s and set the plow up on one of my D2s ?
That being said are the D1 axles more durable for plowing ?
Can I use my D1 transmission and transfer case in a D2 with some modifications ?
Your input is valued thanks HCF

Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

You can't use the transmission in the D2. You could use part of the transfer case but will need to change the rear output assembly at the very least. The front output assembly on the DII has a sensor that is not on the front output assembly of the DI. A lot of effort to no real return. If you're concerned about a locking diff, find an early DII from '99-'01 that has the CDL nipple on the front output assembly. Then, all you need to do is swap over the linkage from one of your many DI's.

As I mentioned in my earlier post that may have been lost under all the BS about stokers and such, putting an engine from a GEMS DI ('96-'99 4.0L) into a 14CUX DI ('94 -'95) is not that big a deal.

Trust me, you do not want to try and modify the harness in a 14CUX truck to work with a GEMS system. I don't care how well you handle car electrical, the GEMS system, as it's linked into the alarm system, makes the process more bother than it's worth. Swapping blocks would be a lot easier and could be accomplished in a weekend.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM
HCF
Overlanding

Thanks I am up to speed on the CDL ( funny thing one of my 99 D2s, I wanted to move it with the front drive shaft removed and went searching for the CDL shaft stub and it was not there ? some one replaced the tranny with a later model perhaps )
Any way I guess with out a complete harness swap ( I am starting to think it would be a waste of time ) the engine swap is not possible (don't want to do the timing cover bit )
The reason for this fact finding drama is to talk me to my senses .
Its just the 97 was our first Rover and I liked the idea of keeping part of it as a functioning part of the farm .
does a 98 or 99 D1 work with the Gems I have our just a 97 ? there is always one around with a blown engine .
HCF

Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

DI:
1994-1995 14CUX fuel injection system.
1996-1999 GEMS fuel injection system.

RRC:
ALL 14CUX

P38a Range Rover:
1995-1998 GEMS
1999-2002 Bosch

DII:
ALL Bosch

Any GEMS DI will need the same work to make it compatible with a 14CUX DI. You can't get around that fact. I don't really understand why swapping the front engine cover and installing a new cam is a deal breaker.

Do you know if your engine has the advanced evaporative emissions system or not? You can tell by the shape and location of the charcoal cannister. If it's round, you're '97 has the earlier style. A large rectangular cannister is indicative of the advanced version. There are a couple of small differences in things like the fuel regulator, purge valve, ect. Not a huge deal but something to be aware of if you are planning on dumping a complete engine, sensors, injectors and all into your '97.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
HCF
Overlanding

Paul the 97 has the pre advance round EVAP
I just went and cleared the snow off the car and took a peak . I'm sorry for my naïve attitude on these matters ,I have never done any real work on the D1s and the 95 I took off a friend ( he was done messing with it )
So If I was to use the 97 engine in a latter D1 there would be some change over of components ?
I really like my the bosch systems in my D2s and P-38 .
may I ask what you are partial to .
I'm thinking, mount the plow on one of my D2s and part out the D1s , what would you do?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Generally the 14CUX is the easiest of all to maintain and repair, then GEMS and finally the Thor. I'd work out the bugs with the 95, cheaper. Do you have a timing light and how many miles on the 95?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I only skimmed through this so ignore me if already mentioned, 97 is obd2 95 should be obd1 depends where you live the vehicle may never pass inspection if they cannot plug into that obd2 with a scanner on the 97 body , I.e. reason why you do not drop a diesel in a 1996 up rover can't get it street legal in some states

Just food for thought

Quick Reply: 97 engine for 95