Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 XD stuck in park and no crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im in anti-theft hell!!!

Ok Replaced the starter today, $160, not to bad. And, well...no difference. Still will not start. Tried the suggestion of connecting the two wires that go to the rear defrost unit. Still nothing.... Okay, next...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you reset the inertia switch under the hood?

It kills the fuel pump in event of a flip-over. If it malfunctions it will kill fuel pump. It is up by the windshield neart the middle but slightly closer to passenger's side. Press the black plunger on the top to reset.

Some of the Brits have detailed sites about the ECU. I wish I knew more about it. I would just as soon disable my antitheft system rather than have it malfunction and disable the vehicle. There are some write ups about that on the web.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalsurfer8
Ok Replaced the starter today, $160, not to bad. And, well...no difference. Still will not start. Tried the suggestion of connecting the two wires that go to the rear defrost unit. Still nothing.... Okay, next...
Bro...did you check it out of just go for it? Been to Rincon yet? Did you get better response on the other forum...seems like you might there.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 AM
7th Gear
Default Day 6 No Start!!!

After replacing the starter last night I still had the same issues. This morning I thought I may have blown one or more of the fuses in the process.. Went through every fuse again. Any thing that looked remotely bad, I replaced it.
Depressed the inertia switch as well, and no results.

I tried hot wiring the starter to the positive lead on the battery. Funny thing is, there is no spark when the key is in the on position. However, Everything electrical works. I have lights, fan, power windows etc.

Any other suggestions?
This is so frustrating!
Thank you all for responding! I appreciate your time and quick response!
Drew

Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM

I tried hot wiring the starter to the positive lead on the battery. Funny thing is, there is no spark when the key is in the on position. However, Everything electrical works. I have lights, fan, power windows etc.

What were the results with the starter?

What about the ground connection from the starter to the frame? I had to redo mine to resolve an intermittent starter issue.

When you replaced the starter, did that include the Bendix as well (the little thing that sits atop the starter and allows it to engage)?

If you applied 12 VDC directly to the starter, I would expect it to turn, unless your motor is froze up..........

What condition is the removed starter in? Does it smell/look burned or will it spin with 12 VDC applied?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 AM
7th Gear

Hey Danny Lee, rebuilt starter is in, old one was pretty beat up. Returned it for core charge. Bendix came with the new one. I cleaned the hot lead from battery to starter and the neg ground where it joins the starter. I didn't check the ground where it meets the frame. I will do that. I can tell whoever had this truck before me, must have had electrical issues as well. There are taped wires all over the place. I've been trying to make sure the connections are good when I find them. Some one mentioned a switch on the tranny. Where would that be located and is it a failsafe starting/kill switch? Thanx again for your reply! Aside from tracing every wire and pulling every relay, I'm not sure what my next step is...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM

On my 97, the starter to frame ground terminal itself was badly corroded. It was so corroded that unbolting it was not even possible. I merely cut the cable a few inches back from the terminal and crimped on a new lug. I then used a dremel deburring bit to abrade the frame down to a nice shiny surface and used a self drilling body bolt to terminate the lug to the frame at the new location. This worked great for a while.

That original self-driller corroded after a couple of years and I had to redo it. I had Antichrist make me up some new power and ground cables and will be replacing all the main power and ground cables soon.

Trace the wire from the starter to the frame and inspect it. It could be at least part of your problem. If the PO had a bunch of wiring issues, you will probably need to trace all of those flaky repairs out to fully resolve all the issues.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
7th Gear

Hey Danny Lee,
Thanx again for all you suggestions! So the truck now turns over but will not fire and run.
I dont believe I am getting any spark. Re checked inertia switch, seems to be ok. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when the key is in the on position initially. All fuses are in good shape still, relays seem to be operating. ECU wire plug ins are fine and free of corrosion. I dont know if Im just not seeing something because it right in front of me, or what... Any other suggestions?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Suggestions:

1. Check fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel injection rail. Looks like a tire valve. Get a fuel pressure guage if possible. If not a dial type air guage will work in a pinch. I did mine that way one day and the insert in the schrader valve actually failed and gas leaked everywhere. I unscrewed it from the side of the motor, took it to a nearby gas station that installs tires and the guy there swapped out the insert, same as a tire valve insert.

2. Have you checked the fuel filter to see if it is clear or blocked? I would go ahead and replace it.

3. Did you redo your ground connection at the frame? What about the battery ground connection also to the frame?

4. Pull a spark plug wire and see if you got spark. If you got fuel and spark it should at least fire up.

5. Build a big fire, get lots of wild women dancing, strong drink and meat on the fire. The Rover Gods like that kind of stuff. Chant praises to the Rover Gods, play music loudly, scantily clad wild women dancing around a fire, and things will miraclously get better.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM
7th Gear

Hey Danny,

I'm pretty sure my fuel is good. I replaced the fuel filter about two months ago and was putting some higher octane gas in to help clear things up. Ground connections to starter and battery are good. I did pull a spark plug and tried to see if I was getting a spark while starting it. There was no spark... Ive been trying to trace the connections to the coil to see if something came dislodged. So far I cant seem to find anything that is out of place. It was running smoothly 12 days ago with the exception of this "no start" issue i was having.

I like your Bon Fire/sacrifice Idea! Especially the scantily clad women part! I'll let you know when that will take place, you can bring some beer!!!

Hey Man, I appreciate all your help and advice. I am planning to drive back to San Diego with my XD on the 27th and am getting a bit concerned about the 2900 miles with "Her" not being 100%...

Quick Reply: 97 XD stuck in park and no crank