Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 D1 trailer plug needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 98 D1 trailer plug needed

Before I pull out the right jump seat, will I find a 7 pin plug in the harness behind the right rear tail light that fits into the floor hole where the rubber plug is now? And if so does it take a special connector to plug into it? Or will a standard 7 pin trailer plug fit? Anyone have photos of this plug?

I need to wire up a trailer plug for a 7 pin trailer with bakes and install a brake controller; Is the wiring already there for a brake controller or is it a case of running a brake wire separately?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

To run a 4-flat plug it looks like this> Land Rover Trailer Wiring Kit (Same Fit As Genuine Part # WIRING KIT) you can get these plugs/kits other places. RN has this style YMZ500480 listed for a DII, but they make this for the D1(this might even be it) call them > http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it

Look at the small inset pic of the connector, you will find the male on the truck...see the instructions.

Last edited by OverRover; 02-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
To run a 4-flat plug it looks like this> Land Rover Trailer Wiring Kit (Same Fit As Genuine Part # WIRING KIT) you can get these plugs/kits other places.

Look at the small inset pic of the connector, you will find the male on the truck...see the instructions.
OK, Thanks,

So the connector on the truck is male; I'd have thought it would be the other way around. And there are seven wires in the male harness plug but only five needed for the 4 pin flat adapter.

Does the little flat box on the adapter do anything besides transition from the plug wires to a standard flat trailer cable? If not it looks like I may just splice wires to the harness and run them to a 7 pin trailer socket, especially if a brake controller wire is there already.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling

That was easier than I thought.
Put the right jump seat down - the small cover was missing - reach in and feel around - and pull out the pigtail with the trailer plug and two single wires - 9 wires in all.

Here's what I figured from the electrical troubleshooting PDF:

7 pin connector - C400:
1 - red/orange - right rear side lights (Fuse 8, fascia fuse box, 10A)
2 - green/purple - brake lights (Fuse 1, fascia fuse box, 15A)
3 - green/white - right rear turn indicator lamp (Fuse 1, fascia fuse box, 15A)
4 - green/red - left rear turn indicator lamp (Fuse 1, fascia fuse box, 15A)
5 - black - ground?
6 - red/yellow - rear fog lights (Fuse 9, fascia fuse box, 10A)
7 - red/black - left rear side lights (Fuse 2, fascia fuse box, 10A)

single wires in trailer pigtail (C424 & C425)
C424 - green/brown - reverse lights. (Fuse 14, fascia fuse box, 10A)
C425 - purple/brown - Interior lights? (Fuse 6, satellite fuse box 2, 20A)

Apparently no brake controller wiring so it will have to be run separately.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Default D1 trailer wiring

As a followup, I found a very good writeup in the archives posted by Tom Rowe that confirmed most of what I had found and added info about wiring brake controllers.

Fortunately I have an old metal 7 pin socket like the one he eventually changed to and I have a Hoppy 4 pin converter that I had previously wired to a 6 pin square trailer connector to plug to a matching one wired to a 96 Jeep Cherokee that also has separate brake and turn signal lights, so I am preparing to wire it into my 98 D1 trailer harness. Now I just have to decide whether to pull the brake controller from a 90 Cherokee I will be selling or leave it intact and buy a new one for the disco.

BTW, I had intended the 90 Cherokee to be my car towing vehicle, but it scared the crap out of me the first time I tried towing a heavy load even with working trailer brakes - it is just too light to handle the trailer well. I've kept my more recently acquired 96 Grand Cherokee for now just in case the Disco doesn't do well, but I hope the Disco will handle it better. I note that the Disco owner's manual says not to use a load leveler/ weight distributing hitch on a Disco - wonder why. I use one on the Grand Cherokee and it seems to help a lot.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the disco tows pretty damn well. way better than a XJ and a lot better than a V8 ZJ also.

Name:  WAcm4Xr.png
Views: 121
Size:  1.57 MB

Old 02-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow! That looks like a pretty good load there.

I finished splicing a 6 pin trailer plug to the aux trailer plug pigtail and fitting it through the body hole; I already had the Hoppy converter wired to a 6 pin so I just added one to the Disco. I have the 4 pin Hoppy installed for now and will add the brake controler and a 6 pin round socket later with a 4 pin to plug the Hoppy into.

Attached Thumbnails 98 D1 trailer plug needed-2-14-15-d1-trailer-plug-wiring-9-.jpg   98 D1 trailer plug needed-2-14-15-d1-trailer-plug-wiring-11-.jpg   98 D1 trailer plug needed-2-14-15-d1-trailer-plug-wiring-14-.jpg   98 D1 trailer plug needed-2-14-15-d1-trailer-plug-wiring-16-.jpg