Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer wiring for disco II does not match trailer connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring for disco II does not match trailer connector

I just got the Land Rover trailer wiring harness for a disco II (mine is a 2004), part number YWJ500120. I needed to use the 7 pin because my travel trailer weighs 3500 pounds and has trailer brakes. However, the round 7 pin wiring on my trailer has flat contacts and the wiring harness I just got for the Disco has 7 round contacts (3 male across the middle and 2 female on top and 2 on bottom). What can I do, since obviously, the 7 flat pins on my trailer will not connect to the 7 round pins on my wiring harness.

Is there a converter plug I can buy and why are the contacts round when it seems most of the trailers that have brakes have 7 flat contacts?? I have a converter from the Land Rover harness from the 7 round contacts to the standard 4 pin but I believe I need to use the brakes because of the weight of the trailer AND, it has a round connector. Any suggestions??? I'm supposed to have the new wiring installed tomorrow by my tech and leave for vacation on Monday...ugghhhh! Please help!!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trailer wiring for disco II does not match trailer connector

I just recently wired my disco for my trailer. You can get an adapter to take your 7 way round pin to a 4 way flat. Then get the 7 way flat pin recepticle to mount on your bumper that also has a plug in the back for a four way flat. Plug in the 4 way flat and you will have all of your lighting taken care of. You will then have to wire the brake control yourself. About 8 to 10 inches from your battery mount a 30 amp breaker to the firewall. Run a small length of 10 guage wire to the breaker then run a length of 10 guage wire from the other side of the breaker and another to the ground on your battery. Run both of these to your brake controller in the cab. There is a wire from the brake controller that needs to be connected to the wire on your brake pedal switch. The switch is very easy to take off its mount. One half turn and it will disengage and you will be able to pull it down low enough to get to the two wires on the switch. Use a circuit tester to find the wire that is hot when the switch is in the out position. If you have the tester on the wire you can than work the switch and when the switch is pushed in it will not have any current present. Connect to that wire. Than run a 10 guage wire from the blue brake wire from your controller back out of the firewall and back to the blue wire on your 7 way connector on your bumper. You now have brakes. You can have this done at an RV dealer but it really is pretty easy to do yourself. If you can find an adapter to go from the 7 way round to 7way flat you still will have to wire the brake controller. Happy Camping!!!! I will check back on this post to see if you have any questions or just send me a PM

Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: trailer wiring for disco II does not match trailer connector

Most use the 4 way, so that is what the dealer sells. The round pin 7 way is European and you will need to convert from this to a 7 way US. They sell the pigtails for the Euro to US 4 way, but not sure on the 7. If you need it fast, call the dealer. They should know.

PS you will need you brakes. Your truck weighs enough by itself...

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Trailer wiring issues

Strange that on such an expensive vehicle a brake controller interface is not provided as it is on pretty much every other vehicle on sale in the US that can tow a trailer. Any how having just bought a D2 and discovered this glaring anomaly I need to put a US standard 7 pin socket by the class3 hitch. Now I guess I can pull the lights from that connector behind the rear light cluster but that seems to be a Landrover Special connector and not one I have seen before so maybe I am going to have to splice it. For the brake circuit it seems I have to run wires all the way to the front of the vehicle to connect to the battery, fuse and the brake light switch.

Is that correct - I see a loom on the net for nearly $100 to convert from the Landrover plug to a 4 way US trailer connector - but it still does not deliver a brake controller circuit. Anybody got a US color code for the socket that sits behind the rear light?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they do sell a 7 pin to 7 pin converter cable, try ebay or amazion

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
Strange that on such an expensive vehicle a brake controller interface is not provided as it is on pretty much every other vehicle on sale in the US that can tow a trailer. Any how having just bought a D2 and discovered this glaring anomaly I need to put a US standard 7 pin socket by the class3 hitch. Now I guess I can pull the lights from that connector behind the rear light cluster but that seems to be a Landrover Special connector and not one I have seen before so maybe I am going to have to splice it. For the brake circuit it seems I have to run wires all the way to the front of the vehicle to connect to the battery, fuse and the brake light switch.

Is that correct - I see a loom on the net for nearly $100 to convert from the Landrover plug to a 4 way US trailer connector - but it still does not deliver a brake controller circuit. Anybody got a US color code for the socket that sits behind the rear light?
Considering that it is a UK truck and that when new no one in the US used it as a tow vehicle...Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories has what you need.

Last edited by Spike555; 09-21-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I'm going to hijack this thread (sort of), as it's on the same topic... If I need to get an adapter for trailer lights, which one do I need? Any part #'s or places to get them? Just the standard 4 pin connector is all I need. I've seen some for roughly $125, but I'm not sure if it's the wire harness/plug that I'm looking for. I'm new to upgrading the D2's, and would like a way to hook up a 6x10 trailer or a boat trailer.

Thanks. Sorry for the hi-jack...

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information
Jut follow the link guys, it has everything you guys need.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information
Jut follow the link guys, it has everything you guys need.
Thanks!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I picked up a US standard 7 pin socket and 7 core trailer cable to get the lights done. Running 2 x 10 gauge wires from the Landrover plug to the front of the car for the trailer brake, (Blue) and the Aux Power, (Black). That should work fine. Going to use a Tekonsha controller and they have a wiring diagram on their website.

Quick Reply: trailer wiring for disco II does not match trailer connector