Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco conversion to TDi w/5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Be sure you're getting a 300tdi that doesn't use an ECU. Some of the later ones did.
Also make sure you're getting a Disco tdi and not a Defender as the exhaust/turbo is different.
Same for the gearbox. Make sure it's for a 300Tdi and for a Disco. A V8 R380 won't mate up without changing the bellhousing and input, and a Defender R380 won't work in a Disco without changing the remote housing and some internal selectors.
Install a Racor fuel filter, they are about the best.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by terryjm1
By the way, I spoke with Duncan at Land Rover Import today. With the exhaust, radiator, intercooler, fully rebuilt assemblies and other odds and ends with shipping it is going to be $8100. A bit more than I anticipated. However, I was told the rig would be worth $13,000 to $15,000 after the conversion is complete. Not doing it to sell, so it really doesnt matter.
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay, there is a '97 DI with a 300TDI conversion for sale on e-bay, asking price is $13,000.
Its been for sale for over 6 months.
Not that you are looking to sell it, but the bank will only loan what the book value of a '98 DI with "X" miles is worth.
There will not be a book value of a '98 with a 300 TDI in their book, so the loan value will be low.
And if I had $13,000 cash to buy a used truck, it sure as hell would not be a 13 yr old one.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Terryjm1,
What parts did you get with your order? Was everything new or reconned. Where did the parts come from and what was the shipping charge. I knwo this a lot of questions, but I am thinking of doing the same thing in South Africa. I have a 95 discovery V8 in pretty good working order, but the fuel price is killing me!!!

What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. All good points and thoughts. Let me try to address everyone's questions.

The units are rebuilt or new, everything is from Land Rover Import. Just do a google search and you will find them and some outside viewpoints of them as well. Seems like a solid outfit. The kit includes everything except engine mount brackets. However, the V8 mounts can be modified to work. Also, on the ECU engine, when he gets them, he converts them to non-ecu. Appatently it is little more than the injection pump.

All components were pulled from a European market Disco I.

I previously looked at the ebay Disco and it is not in nearly as good condition as my truck. However, I thought it was listed for something like 19,000. And, I am pretty sure the conversion was done with used parts. My truck is low miles and in excellent condition and will be getting new or rebuilt parts. It looks more like a 2-3 year old truck than a 13 year old truck.

On the loan points. Here is my experience: I have dealt with two banks that when the vehicle doesnt meet book value, an appraisal can be made by an appraiser they approve of. I have gone down this road as a buyer and seller and had no problems. You can get financing for "specially constructed vehicles." However, I am not doing it to sell and I am not financing it. So, in my case it doesnt matter this truck.

As far as a $13,000 investment in a 13 year old truck, it is all relative to what you are looking for. $13,000 isnt going to get you much more than a base model ford ranger or similar. I dont want a Ranger and a ranger isnt going to do what my Disco will, not even close. Would I pay that much for the converted Disco, well... not if I can do the work myself and pay $10,000. But if I had to choose between my converted 13 year old Disco and a new Ranger, I wouldnt even have to think for a minute. Id take the TDi Disco. I sold a Toyota Land Cruiser a while back for much more than $13,000 that was ten years older. Again, it depends what you are looking for and even a very small market is a market. The market dictates the "value." Two or three years from now that formerly new Ranger will be worth probably half of that new price. The Disco might well be worth the same. My Land Cruiser actually appreciated.

Last edited by terryjm1; 01-13-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

I wasnt trying to rain on your parade, I was just pointing out somethings that you may or may not have thought of.
Not that your going to sell it anytime soon.

As for my $13k, I wouldnt buy a Ford Ranger either, but I would buy another DI for $3,000 and spend "X" to get it back into shape and then put the rest on 22 red!!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TbwCurtis
Hi Terryjm1,
What parts did you get with your order? Was everything new or reconned. Where did the parts come from and what was the shipping charge. I knwo this a lot of questions, but I am thinking of doing the same thing in South Africa. I have a 95 discovery V8 in pretty good working order, but the fuel price is killing me!!!

What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Have you thought about a LPG conversion?
Its going to be cheaper than a TDI conversion and LPG is alot cheaper than both diesel and petrol.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

After reading Spike's reply, I realized I didnt completely answer your question. The "kit" for $8100 comes with a combination of rebuilt, used, and new parts. Items like belts, hoses, radiator, water pump, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, and some others are new. The engine and trans is rebuilt. The injection pump and turbo is reconditioned, and some parts, mostly non-wear items are plain old used. Two of the items that are used are the alternator and starter, but for some extra dollars they can be supplied new. However, Duncan says the used parts such as the starter and alternator are very durable. I dunno...

The shipping was included in the price and not broken down. The only breakdown was $5800 for the engine "kit" plus $2100 for the 5 speed conversion "kit" and $200 for the TDi exhaust. However, I am considering not buying the exhaust and instead buying a stainless system from Rimmers. Not sure yet though as the price is getting up there. I may opt for the cheap $200 mild steel exhaust and replace it when it wears out with the stainless a few years down the road.

Part of the reason I am interested in the Tdi is that I plan to do a few 2500 mile road trips a year and the TDi w/5 speed can be made to achieve 40 MPG on the interstate. I like the Rover V8, I have one in my TR8, but at the MPG in the Land Rover and with plans for it to be a daily driver, I like the TDi and manual trans. Literally more than double the MPG in the TDi version.

Also, no parade raining taken. I appreciate the commentary.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have not ordered your parts yet, you might want to check out: http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/

For about 6,500 Sterling ($10K) you can have a NEW engine. You will still have to deal with sourcing a transmission but ALL the bits are included.

Best of luck and don't believe everyone who says you cant do it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Best break in oil for rebuilt engine

Anyone have any recommendations for the best engine break in oil for the TDi?

Also, what is the best trans oil for the R380 5 speed?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Three Wheeling

boxerboy, thanks for the info on the new engine. While new is very desireable, with shipping it would really make the total cost climb.

Diesel engines usually do very well with rebuilds.

Also, I have no doubt it can be done. The challenge is getting it done in a financially sensible manner. IMHO, for what I will have when it is done, $10,000 total investment is a great deal deal.

It will be essentially a luxury vehicle my wife wont mind tooling around town in with the family, economical with fuel and maintenance, and great for road trips that take us through snowy mountain passes and to a cabin in the woods.

We traveled to Oregon a couple years ago and were not allowed to drive through a couple very scenic montain passes due to our vehicle not having 4 WD. We ended up driving around the mountains through the Columbia River Gorge, which was extremely scenic as well. However, when we go back we will be planning to go through the passes one way and back through the gorge.

We also like to spend some time in remote area in the mountains that when there is any snow fall, 4 WD is essetial.

I havent had 4 WD since I sold my Land Cruiser years ago. I have missed it ever since.

The auto transport picked up the Disco in Arizona yesterday. With any luck it will arrive here in St. Louis this weekend and the project will begin...

Quick Reply: 98 Disco conversion to TDi w/5 speed manual