Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco conversion to TDi w/5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As for break in oil...its not needed.
Just do a short oil change the first time out, then go with the normal 5,000 oil changes.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by terryjm1
Anyone have any recommendations for the best engine break in oil for the TDi?
I'm not clear if it's been run since rebuild or not. In either case, hopefully they used assembly grease when putting it back together.
If it hasn't been run and they used assembly grease then just use normal oil and start it.
If it's been run since rebuild, I'd put a new oil filter on it, making sure it's full of oil, and crank it some before starting it to build at least some oil pressure.
If you want to be compulsive you could remove the glow plugs and crank it so there isn't so much compression.

After 500 miles change the oil and filter.

Also, what is the best trans oil for the R380 5 speed?
MT lube is what is spec'd for them. I like Redline MTL. You might have to get it at a racing shop.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont have much new to report. The weather here in the midwest has been rough lately and my garage is not yet heated. So, the truck is currently still sitting at the shop where the ID/OD verification was done. I'll drag it home when the weather lightens up. The news media has made this storm out to be the end of the world. It isnt pleasant, but it isnt the calamity they have made it out to be.

In Missouri when you purchase a vehicle from outside the state but are not ready to license it, they require an odometer and VIN verification inspection.

I did order the TDI engine and 5 speed transmission "kit" from Land Rover Import. However, as I decided to go with rebuilt units, it will be another 4 weeks before they arrive in St. Louis.

And to comment on the cost, well, I went for rebuilt units which really jacked it up. I expect I will have $11,000 ish in including the cost of the truck which with shipping from Arizona cost me $2450. I also decided to go with a stainless exhaust and uprated intercooler.

I cant justify the project for the cost. I just want to do it and do plan to have it for a very long time. My son is 5 months old now and I intend to teach him to drive in it.

Hopefully I will really make some progress in March and have it on the road for the summer.

Last edited by terryjm1; 02-01-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Default update

My engine and transmission is finally shipping mid-week. Unless it gets hung up in customs it should be here in 2-3 weeks. The only problem with that is that I will be traveling a lot in the next two months and probably wont get any garage time until late May. Oh well...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Finally, it is here!

It arrived at the local freight depot Monday and I picked it up that afternoon. It is dirtier/greasier than I would have expected from a rebuilt engine. However the transmission is spotless. As long as the stuff inside is as advertised I suppose it is ok. A few parts were damaged and one, the exhaust downpipe, is missing altogether. I guess I will see if Duncan's (Land Rover Import) customer service after the sale is acceptable.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Disco conversion to TDi w/5 speed manual-img_0064.jpg  
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

1) I highly doubt it will achieve 40 mpg. My diesel Jetta which is a lot lighter and more aerodynamic gets 45. I think you might get in the low 30's if you're lucky.

2) That $13,000 you are talking about doesn't sound like it includes any of your labor or misc expenses. Not that you need to factor that in, but it's worth considering

3) There is a trade-off on diesels which is slow throttle response compared to gas. Sometimes that's very annoying.

4) I've taken a few 2,500+ mile trips and never had any breakdowns or issues with my gas motor. If you DID have one with your diesel engine, say, a head gasket, I wonder how long it would take to get a replacement?

5) You might be just as far ahead putting a 6.2 GM or a Ford diesel and tranny into your rig. Probably be a lot cheaper in the end and you get something you can get parts for ...and good engineering behind it.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just concerned about the $$ you're throwing at it. Good luck,

[Edit] Forget what I wrote: I guess you already bought the stuff. Good luck. Let's see some pics.

Last edited by Mark G; 05-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You have to be careful when looking at mpg numbers on British cars, their gallons are bigger.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Default MPGs, dollars, etc.

I am all in, money spent, ready to begin assembly. No more decision making to be made.

The labor costs are more of a net gain for me as I do the work myself and it saves me on the therapy I would need to counteract the stress of my job. It is my quiet and mindless time. Some people get therapy, some play golf, I disappear to the garage.

One of my coworkers has a Jetta TDi and with mostly interstate driving, gets consistently over 50 MPG - US. ;-)

Yes, I know it is going to be slower and parts harder to come by and everything along those lines. I just spent an hour on the internet trying to find ac lines. AC is relatively uncommon on the TDi. My other cars are a Triumph TR7 and a TR8. I am hard headed that way. If I want to go fast, I can take the TR8.

I keep spares of everything on the shelf in my garage. If there is a breakdown, parts are as far away as I am. I'll do the same with the TDi.

On the MPG, I will be thrilled to get low 30's on the interstate. All the diesels I have driven, ford and chevy, there was very little difference in interstate and city mileage. I hope the same is true with this set up. If I get mid 20's in the city, it sure beats the heck out of the 14ish MPG I would get with the V8.

Im doing this conversion for the very long term, so time for return on the dollar is bit longer.

More than anything, I am doing it because I think it is cool. All the rest is just me trying to convince myself it makes sense...

Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm with you on the cool. Half the stuff people do to their 4X4's doesn't actually add value, just awesomeness. If I could afford it (or maybe justify it, depending on the time of year), I'd get an 90 or 110 from england with the 2.5 NA or TDI. It's just cool.... and no electroncs to worry about. The disco conversion is certainly a more comfortable ride...

Old 05-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where in mo you at?

Quick Reply: 98 Disco conversion to TDi w/5 speed manual