Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Discovery 1 sticking in park

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery 1 sticking in park

My 4.0 automatic is sticking in park. I did the forum search and verified my brake lights are working. If I am able to get it out of park it will go in drive, reverse and the transmission works normally without any abnormal sounds. It feels like it is stuck at the selector lever. My manual shows replacement procedures for an interlock solonoid and an interlock micro switch. It looks like to replace either of those I will need to remove the center consol. How does the shift **** come off? Does the burl wood cap come off with a nut underneath or does the entire **** screw off or is there a set screw somewhere? Are the solonoid and micro switch both dealer items? I can shut the car off in neutral and leave the key in and drive the car around but my wife is too worried to drive it as she is afraid she will forget and put it in park.
Thanks
Pete

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely just the nut inside the shifter has come loose. Happens over time with these trucks. The top of the shifter just pops off and you will see a little nut inside. Just tighten everything up and try that. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is just the solinoid it can be removed, it will just make it so you can shift without hitting the brake first and without the key, just don't tell your buddies or you will find it parked down the street.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM
5th Gear
Default replacing the brake switch

I did find the brake lights were not working and ordered the switch. I can highly recommend PeachParts. I've used them for Mercedes parts and they have the LandRover parts. Shipping is unbelievably quick. This evening I changed out the brake switch and it seemed to cure the sticking in park but the brake lights stayed on all the time. Is it possible to reverse the wiring on this switch or is there some other common installation mistake that would have the brake lights on all the time.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteinmissionviejo
I did find the brake lights were not working and ordered the switch. I can highly recommend PeachParts. I've used them for Mercedes parts and they have the LandRover parts. Shipping is unbelievably quick. This evening I changed out the brake switch and it seemed to cure the sticking in park but the brake lights stayed on all the time. Is it possible to reverse the wiring on this switch or is there some other common installation mistake that would have the brake lights on all the time.
not to point out the obvious, but did you make sure that the brake switch is not being engaged by the brake at rest? They can be adjusted.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
5th Gear
Default not too obvious for me

The brake pedal or the switch is adjusted? The installation instructions just said to pull the plunger and sleeve all the way forward when taking out and when installing. Maybe the adjustment is just depressing the brake pedal, pulling the sleeve and plunger forward, and then the brake pedal at rest sets the plunger and sleeve depth?

Thanks
Pete