Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'98 Discovery Bad Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Discovery Bad Engine

I just purchased a '98 Discovery with 137K to start a new project. The seller told me it had a bad engine, I paid $1,000 for it assuming I would need to replace the engine (hopefully that was good deal, I don't know what one it this condition goes for). I don't have experience wrenching on Rovers, but quite a bit on my previously owned Jeeps. I'll be looking to purchase an engine replacement this week (know any good sources?) Curiosity got the best of me this morning, I went out and started tearing down the engine to see what exactly failed. When i drained the oil pan about 15qts of coolant and little of oil came out, I pulled the intake and found the valley scattered with lifters and push rods. The camshaft was sheared in two places and the heads looked like someone used roofing tar for motor oil. Are these are common failures or neglect? What caused it? Anything special I should know before replacing the engine? I plan on purchasing one, pulling the bad one next weekend and installing replacement the following weekend. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is what most likely happened.
You MUST use premium gas, if you dont then the heads get to hot (because regular grade gas burns hotter but has less power than premium) and it bakes the oil inside the heads and valley. (these trucks do NOT have a EGR)
Over time all of that sludge clogs the oil supply and return's and then things go without lubrication and BAM!! the engine it toast.
Sounds like the cam bearings ran dry and seized and the mass of the crank still turning the timing set snapped the cam when the bearings seized.

When you get the new engine, pull the oil pan and make sure the oil pick up is not sludged.
Replace the head gaskets.
Make sure you use either a 5w-40 or 15w-40 motor oil, no 5w-30.
Do not go longer than 5,000 miles between oil changes.
No K&N air filters.
Magnecor plug wires unless you want to be replacing them every 3 months.

www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roversnorth.com
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.car-part.com

These engines are all aluminum, overheat it once and your buying a new one.
It aint going to be cheap either.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that is a terrible case of rover neglect.

Where are you from? PM me if you want.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on how adventurous you are about the rebuilding your truck , you may even go diesel route.When you mention diesel and Land Rover in same sentence in classifieds , price is just ridiculously high.Here is one option you can do.There is tons of diesel Toyota's Land Cruisers that suffers from chronic body rust , but engines goes even half an million of kilometers.Prices of these trucks because of rust are relatively low.Ride is not great because of leaf springs suspension. Discovery is built like an tank compering to Land cruiser.Here is one conversion.
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ218647173

Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that's an idea arm and hammer. I have seen tons of discussions about chevy 350 swaps, isuzu diesel swaps, cummins 4bt swaps, but never a toyota land cruiser engine swap into a disco. How much work would that be? I know you can get an Isuzu bread truck with a diesel engine for less than 1000 bucks and do the swap. Do you think this conversion could be done for less. How easy to drop in? Any drive train swaps necessary for this swap? What is the HP and torque comparison. Not trying to hijack just thought I would continue this idea out.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Overlanding

Glad to report I got a used engine replacement today, going to pick it up next week. What would you recommend I do to it before installing it? Is it necessary to replace the head gaskets if the engine was running and has been compression checked? Also I'm figureing it's a opportune time for seals, I downloaded the RAVE manual for more info, the rear main looked pretty straight forward however the front seamed a little confusing to me does it require a special tool? Any tips besides follow the RAVE manual as far as sealing/gasketing one of these engines? I'd like to do this right, maintain it properly and hopefully get alot of service out of it. Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The front main is easy, just remove the crank pulley first.
Yes do the head gaskets, its already out of the truck now would be the best time, you dont want to put it in and have them go a week later.

Just do like I already said.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Overlanding

Thanks spike, will do!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Spike said.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Overlanding

A diesel conversion seems interesting, is that something that is feasible here in the states? Is there a diesel that would work with my auto transmission? Thanks.

Quick Reply: '98 Discovery Bad Engine