Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

99 SD starts rarely or only when left unlocked for hours! Stranded again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SD starts rarely or only when left unlocked for hours! Stranded again...

Hello there - I have a 99 Disco I SD that I purchased to build onto for off-roading, and then the lady wrecked it two days later. Minor fender bender and we have replaced everything and it started up just fine. The sunroof is cracked slightly open, so I am wondering if that could be the issue as to why it's not starting. The alarm is able to be turned on and off no problem with the key or fob or both in combination. The anti-theft light by the radio is off... UNTIL you try to turn the engine over. The light then blinks as it's cranking and it just won’t turn all the way over. However, when the car is left unlocked for a long period of time, the car seems to start up. If I lock it, it won’t start back up again. Very confusing!!!

Here's what we have done so far:
- Verified that the sunroof cracked open (< 2cm) wasn’t tripping the alarm
- Checked that we are getting spark and the fuel pump is working
- Put new battery in original key fob and did full alarm diagnosis. Alarm is working fine as it arms and disarms w/out a problem
- Depressed the fuel shutoff switch a few times just in case
- Disconnected the battery, turned key to position 2, reconnected the battery and tried starting it. THIS TIME - the Anti-Theft light on the stereo went out, so I thought for sure it would start. But nope!!! Back to ground zero.

Could it be the ECU or am I simply chasing alarm issues, when it could be something more simple? FYI - have read Land Rover tech guides, manuals, and over 300 pages on internet. Expert help appreciated!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail? There's a schrader valve on the right side. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and let us know what you fine.