Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

about to purchase a D1 with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default about to purchase a D1 with some questions.

Hi guys,
I own an 04 D2 so have already gone through many of the new-to-Landrover woes.
I'm contemplating purchasing a 1997 D1, (that I haven't had the chance to view yet) which the current owner is selling due to the truck not running correctly.

Why buy a non running truck ? I've been looking for a clean pre '98 D1 for a while for a TDI project. As many folks have previously discussed on this forum, it can be an expensive proposition to convert to the diesel motor, so my project necessitates picking up a less expensive vehicle.

That said, i'd much prefer to be able to drive the disco onto the flatbed trailer under its own power.

All i know from the current owner is that the truck tries to die when the gas pedal is depressed. To me it sounds like MAF/O2 sensors/CPS/ (open loop running) . He also states that its not using coolant so it definitely sounds like an air/fueling issue to me. He hasn't checked for codes, i'll do that when i get there.

The reason i'm soliciting diagnosis advice on the forum before i go see the truck is that it's located quite far from where i live, so i'm trying to get prepared on the assumption that i'm going to buy it and trailer it home. It sure would be nice to drive it onto the flatbed trailer under its own power.

I've seen several posts describing similar issues that seem to point to the MAF. Any suggestions on what parts to pick up before I head out to view the truck with my wallet full of dollars ? Crank Position Sensor beginning to fail would typically not manifest itself in a cold start condition right ?

I've already exhausted my number of free tows for the year from AAA (i have my 04 to thank for that!) or i'd save everyone the hassle of reading this post and just get them to haul the beast back for me.

Thanks in advance!
Robbie

Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

can you not just winch it on the trailer?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

With some difficulty i could winch it onto the trailer. The owner has it wedged up fairly tightly to his garage and house.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I would lean toward iacv, maf or tps, take a cheap obd2 reader, unfortunately if you scan it and know what it needs he may decide not to sell it

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push it out, winch it up and haul it home. Don't want to get it running in the guys garage so he decides it's worth more. A buddy was going to sell me a car and it was stallings. I test drove it for a day and put a new battery in it and problem gone... He payed for the battery and raised the price 1000. Damn jew

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

had similar situation as CUpgt, with a bike and a stripped petcock, luckily $ had already changed hands.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Update: no Disco 1 this time for me. The truck was further gone than I was willing to work with.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Also, why a pre-98? Most people aim for a pre-96 since they're OBD1 and exempt from emissions everywhere.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Also, why a pre-98? Most people aim for a pre-96 since they're OBD1 and exempt from emissions everywhere.
That was my first question. If you decide to sell it later it can be sold nearly anywhere but CA. Not so with OBDII vehicles.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, if you're close to Dallas, Texas area I may have a 94 D1 for sale.

Quick Reply: about to purchase a D1 with some questions.