Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

About Stock/Spare Steelies

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not up to par....

As Tom stated eariler (original point of post) The "spare" steel wheels supplied with the early discos are absolutely NOT designed for HD, Off-road use. They are WAY too light for long duration off road use and could deform slightly during a heavy impact. Designed as an emergency spare for short term use only.

Cheap = Cheap

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
As Tom stated eariler (original point of post) The "spare" steel wheels supplied with the early discos are absolutely NOT designed for HD, Off-road use. They are WAY too light for long duration off road use and could deform slightly during a heavy impact. Designed as an emergency spare for short term use only.

Cheap = Cheap
I beg to differ, the only place they use that spare rim as a "spare" is in North America, everywhere else in the world they were the cheaper rim option and they seem pretty strong to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtexoMZJ7Y0

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Winching
Default Thanks for proving my point...

Originally Posted by Spike555
I beg to differ, the only place they use that spare rim as a "spare" is in North America, everywhere else in the world they were the cheaper rim option and they seem pretty strong to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtexoMZJ7Y0
Forward to 3:25 into the video... I appreciate your help in proving my point. I also believe you could consider that "slightly deformed".

You are correct; Those wheels are supplied as the "shipping" or "transport" wheel and as the base option in some markets. Not necessarily meant as or even offered as the Heavy Duty or Desirable Off-Road wheel choice. That's all I'm sayin'... sure you can use em but they're not very strong.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

I will agree that they are not as strong as the Series/NATO/alloy rims but they are pretty strong.
The only reason the tire blew was he landed on it not only hard but off camber so the rim tore into the tire and I dont care what rim you are running and landing a 4500lb SUV from 4ft in the air its going to deform the rim.
And you have to agree that he was abusing the hell out of those rims with street tires not any kind of offroad tire so the rim hit the ground with the full force and weight of the truck on it.
Had he had a stronger tire I think the rim would have been just fine.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheap = Cheap
well it appears they used these for the camel trophy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Tb-Wrn5fI

Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

They used these rims for the Camel Trophy, that truck is a look-a-like.

Name:  DSC05365.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  83.5 KB

Mantec supplied the winch bumper not ARB like in that pic.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Winching
Default Rumble?

Spence - that is an inaccurate look-a-like of a CT rig... not the right wheels or tyres along with many other external errors. Mud Flaps??? Seriously, c'mon...

Uncle Spike - I think we have been and still are saying the same damn thing. The spare LR Disco wheel is not as stong as the NATO/WOLF/Series rims and should not be used for HD off-road use as they will not hold up over time.

IF the spare wheels LR supplied with their Disco's had been up to CT specs then I'm sure they would have been used for that purpose. Since they were not strong enough for the CT contenders from 90 - 96 then I'm guessing LR did not consider them adequate for HD off-road abuse.

Much Love.. .peace out my brotha...

I'll send you FLA oranges if you send me fresh Michigan Blueberries as a much better tasting alternative to an olive branch.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-22-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

I'll send you FLA oranges if you send me fresh Michigan Blueberries as a much better tasting alternative to an olive branch.
Sounds good to me.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Cheap = Cheap
Ummm...no, not what I said. You may have inferred it, but I in no way implied.

Originally Posted by antichrist
The spares don't look anything like NATO wheels, nor are they as strong.
I could just as easily have said The alloys don't look anything like NATO wheels, nor are they as strong and been just as accurate.

In any case, the Discovery steel, NTC5193, is rated at 1650kg
The Wolf, ANR5593, is rated at 2200kg.
The load capacity I can find on the Tornado rims is 850kg (though that seems too low to me, though it is within the Discovery's Gross axle load rating)

Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I shouldnt run mine flipped inside out but Ive never bent one and if I do there plenty cheap enough so I really dont care. I did run a full bead of weld around the center piece on both sides to help stiffen them up instead of the factory only had a spot weld every few inches. Would I recomend any one flipping them NO but it can be done. The only reason I do that is Pennsylvania wont allow wheel spacers and I cant find the rite offset wheels yet.