Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS swivel preload

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS swivel preload

Ive really looked for an answer to this but have found nothing.

Im doing a full swivel rebuild. Im ready to set preload (ABS) and I don't have the appropriate tool to measure the torque from the center of the swivel pin. I tried a couple searches but came up blank. And my welder is down so I cant fab one.

Does anyone know where to purchase that tool? Has anyone bothered to set preload with that tool and then verify the torque using a scale? I plan to figure out what it comes out to with the scale and then post the results if nobody has done that yet, but obviously I need the tool.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

The tool is LRT-57-024 according to the RAVE. Torque test adapter.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Walmart fish scale

Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2x on the fish scale....."Zebco De-Liar" should take 15#'s to move the swivel ....

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling

I have a fish scale. But what Im hearing is that the 15 pound pull doesn't apply to ABS equipped Rovers. What I want to know is if anyone has properly set their preload with the torque adapter then checked it with the fish scale.

ABS swivels are set by measuring the torque required to move the swivel from the center of the top swivel pin, not from the tie rod boss. And that measurement is 2.0-2.8 Nm, which is about 1.75 pound feet of torque on the high side. And that is without the swivel seal installed, and everything fully disassembled down to the swivel pin housing. 2.8 Nm of torque from the center of the pin is definitely not going to equate to a 15 pound pull at the tie rod.

I just want to be sure Im doing this correctly, as Ive replaced every single bearing and seal between the wheel and axle tube and I don't want to cause any premature wear.

The following users liked this post:
Banzai Jimmy (12-07-2019)
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Contact Antichrist on this board. He has the CORRECT procedure he successfully used for preload. I did mine by feel and it was fine for a whole lot of years but I can't quantify feel for you. The fish scale method is really for Series Rovers and early Classics.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Not sure if anyone posted this but here is link to tech section how to with pics to do it, worked fine on mine

He says 15# even though it should be slightly less to take in account the fresh grease that will dissapate some after driving causing it to loosen a tad just like repacking wheel bearings and spinning the rotor

I am not saying Paul is incorrect just saying I followed this and so far so good made a huge difference

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...preload-36607/

Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
TReK

In the link you provided did Rover Chris remove the swivel seal in the back before testing the preload? He seemed to just detach all the steering links and grab a scale. That's just not how it's done. And, I'll say it again, you don't use a scale on ABS equipped trucks. There is a specific tool that you can easily fabricate to do the job.

In the Rave under 1995 Discovery Workshop, Section 54 Front Axle and Final Drive, page 6 shows a non ABS Discovery having it's preload checked with a scale. If you continue through the chapter to the section on page 10 you'll see the same job performed on an ABS equipped truck. No scale is used, all the specs are different and a special tool is used.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
TReK

I'd like to see if Rover Chris actually removed the swivel seal before doing the scale test. I'm not saying what he did was, necessarily bad but if he didn't, it wouldn't be the first time I saw a sticky that was providing information that wasn't really correct.

Quick Reply: ABS swivel preload