Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

AC Condenser fans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 07:33 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC Condenser fans...

Hello folks. Been a while but I once again come to you all in a time of need... My Ac condenser fans have both crapped out on my 98 discovery. I have scoured the internet, read the resource here about swapping the motor for a 93-97 corolla but have run into a problem. I have ordered new motors from several different websites, and they all have canceled the order for not having the stock they said they did. Is my only option to steal them from junk yard cars with who knows how much life left on them? is there a way to rebuild the land rover motors? or am I just stuck paying the 400+ a piece from one of the various parts websites for our rovers? I did my water pump and thermostat because I was overheating and everything worked beautifully for about a year and now this causing "overheating" again. Any advice or assistance would be greatly apreciated, both of them took a dive at one time... or maybe only one worked when I did the previous repairs, and the heat of this summer is just making me now realize it? either way they are both gone and cooked.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Mudding
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the same issue finding these recently when one of mine went out about a month ago. I found them available through AutoZone, but at over twice the price I paid via RockAuto a few years ago. Unfortunately RockAuto is out of stock and has been for around a month.
Mine shipped and arrived from AutoZone within 2 days of ordering. Good luck!

The link didn't post correctly. The part # and sku are below for reference.

Continental/VDO Radiator Fan Assembly PM9115

$61.99
Part #PM9115
SKU #837527

Last edited by jvarnadoe; 08-09-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Awesome! The AutoZone website shows them as out of stock but calling the store the guy said he could get them ordered for me. Thanks for the heads up! These forums are great but some of the where to find parts post are a bit dated. Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-09-2023, 11:17 AM
Mudding

You're welcome! Luckily they provide new bolts for the fan blade mount and the fan motor mounts. Be careful removing the fan blade bolts. Two of mine stripped and I had to drill them out.

You'll have to clip off the Toyota connector as it isn't the same. I spliced the wires using connectors and marine heat shrink tubing from Harbor Freight. I use connectors because I'm terrible at soldering.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Winching
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought a couple of the motors off the jungle site, TYC Engine Cooling Fan M - 630250, back in 2018. Worked great.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Alright so new fans are in (Yay Autozone). I am planning to clip the connectors and get things soldered together. Before I solder everything up is there any way to quickly test the new motors to figure out which way the plug needs to go on? I'd rather do it once, I know I can just alligator clip the new motors to the batter and see which way they spin. But as far as which side of the new connector matches that spin? Or am I vastly over thinking this? Should I plug a wire into the connector on the truck and power them that way first?

Old 08-14-2023, 11:11 AM
Mudding

I snipped the wires between the stock connector and the fan motor, matched the wire colors (blue to blue, black to black) and they both spun in the correct direction.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Well I was in fact overthinking it! Blue to blue, black to black. Got the fans soldered together last night and was able to hook them to the car and power them on! So, fans are fixed. I still have to bolt them back, clean between the radiator and Ac condenser. Still trying to decide if I want to drain and pull the radiator to flush it or not... I flushed the system when I installed a new water pump and thermostat but not sure if I want to bite that bullet while it doesn't need it!

Old 08-15-2023, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts

The hard part of flushing for me is dealing with the coolant. Once you get the right tubes and buckets, it's simple. I siphon 2 gallons of coolant out (one gallon remains in block) with 1/4 tygon plastic tube. Radiator could be flushed in-place by removing main hoses, avoids messing with oil coolers. Opportunity for some fresh coolant, and new hoses, if you like.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Yeah, I did a full flush not that long ago. So, the coolant is relatively new, still looks good in the radiator and the overflow. I have a lot of leaves and stuff between the radiator, and I don't know a good way to get them out without just removing the radiator. I also for the life of me can't figure out how they got there? the rubber seals that go around the radiator are in excellent shape and there's not really much room for them to come any other way. One of life's great mystery's, I guess. Gunna take it as a cross that bridge when I get there. I still have to bolt the fans back in. Repair one of the side headlight trim pieces and put the grill back in. Then Ill tackle cleaning between the two and if I have to ill drain the coolant and remove the radiator fully to really clean it out good. Otherwise, it's just bolting the rad back into place, and it should go back to running cool. Thankfully I have a 180 thermostat in it so when I noticed it "Overheating" it was only getting up to 199 territories, so not hot enough to do damage but hot enough that I noticed and started pulling things apart to figure it all out. These old trucks sure like to hit you when you're down! HAHA. Thanks for all the help and support you've provided. Still argue this is the best rover forum I've found!

Quick Reply: AC Condenser fans...