Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Adaptive value reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive value reset

Almost got my Disco 100% working --- brought it back from the dead with some epoxy to fix a radiator pinhole leak, some new exhaust gaskets to fix an exhaust leak causing a rich condition and a window regulator to fix a window that was stuck down. The last item I am trying to deal with is high idle. Going to get an Autozone cheap IACV tonight and swap but assume that won't make a difference. However, I do get a drop in idle when AC turned on and when truck put in gear so maybe that is just stuck. Assuming that doesn't work though, next thing I will check is TPS. For what it's worth Scanguage shows my TPS reading about 15 at idle whereas I recall it used to read 12.9.

Researching on the internet suggests resetting adaptive values could work and it will tell the ECU that the current TPS reading = throttle closed. Old posts suggest this can only be done with someone with Testbook or similar $$$$ software. But haven't found any discussions of this in the last few years so interested if there are any DIY options to do so in 2019. If not, anyone know someone in the NJ/NYC area that they could recommend to reset my adaptive values? Would prefer NJ but can go into the city or a weekend drive within a couple hours for the right deal.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:46 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Before you spend the money, check for vacuum leaks.

What year is your truck (best to put it in your 'signature' so we all know what it is)?

There is a reset tool/app developed by robertf.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Before you spend the money, check for vacuum leaks.

What year is your truck (best to put it in your 'signature' so we all know what it is)?

There is a reset tool/app developed by robertf.
Sorry 96.
Forgot to mention, did a smoke test and didn't find any vacuum leaks except a very small amount coming out near throttle swings which I understand to be common and unlikely to cause my significant high idle.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Helpful data - unscrewed TPS from intake but let plug in. TPS read 1 percent and car idled perfectly in Park, in gear, with AC on and AC off. Seems to me that adaptive values would fix no?

Tried downloading app "gems reader" -- assume it's it but it won't connect to my Bluetooth obd2 that works for other car apps
Keeps saying "connecting to ecu" but nothing.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:07 AM
TReK

this one. robertf posts here from time to time

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ms.gemsutility

Old 10-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
this one. robertf posts here from time to time

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ms.gemsutility
Downloaded that and tried with my bluetooth OBD2 thing and my Samsung Galaxy S8. Did not work - just stuck on 'connecting to ECU' indefinitely. I read that it was not working well with new Android versions but not sure. Ordered the physical cable to try and get an older PC version working.

But also think I have some other issue going on - while the truck runs well in general, if I am in Park/Neutral and give it high throttle (4k RPM) is is bogging and then when you let off the gas it stalls. That said, it happened first time last night so haven't looked into it. It had a vacuum leak that I fixed (before posting) and the LT fuel trim is 14%. One idea is that the LT fuel trim has not had a chance to adapt to the fixed vacuum leak and therefore it is running rich when in open loop and at high throttle/low load it is flooding. That or I guess it could be that my fuel pump can't keep up, faulty fuel filter or a bunch of other things... But, I plan to get the cable, reset the adaptive values, drive for a while and see what happens. Will see if this resolves itself or not and deal with it after the idle issue if needed.

Last edited by spurcap; 10-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Got the physical cable for Obdwiz from scantool.net and tried it out. Connects perfectly to their Obdwiz software but can't get any of the versions of robertf's gems tools to work on my computer. The one with the GUI (GEMSFIXER 2.1) says it is missing files. On the discoweb post someone else noted this and provided the files but the links are broken and I can't find them. On the others it sits there with a flashing dot and does nothing, and on another one (I think 1.1) it says COM STATE ERRORConnected to: com5 and does nothing.
Using windows 10. Unfortunately don't have a XP box.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling

For anyone reading this in the future, I figured it out after 2 days of trial and error, setting up virtual machines, finding old versions of obdwiz, trying to get window xp updates and much more than I can recall....

In the end of the day, got robertf's version 1.0 to work on Windows 10 (ignoring steps that proved not to help)

1) installed Obdwiz and got it fully functional as per instructions

2) Downloaded v1.0 of GEMS from Robertf

3) KEY - Went on OBDLink website and got latest FIRMWARE for OBDLink SX - I had been worried about drivers and tried many current and old versions of the drivers to see if a new driver was causing the issue but it turns out whatever firmware I had on there when purchased from Amazon wasn't playing well. After downloading the latest firmware s-x-4.5.1 I tried running and it kept telling me to unplug and replug and try again. Eventually, figured out changing from the default to baud rate of 115200 and it worked like a charm. Note that firmware upgrade needs to run as administrator.

4) Opened command prompt, navigated to directory and "gems com5 reset" - worked

I had my OBD2 scanner on immediately before this and LT fuel trim was 13 and instantly went to 0 after this.

Now my short-term fuel trim is quite high (as high as 20) so obviously have some type of a fuel management issue to deal with but that is fine.

Reading at other people talking about using this app, I have a feeling many do this, get idle running well (at the expense of a properly adapted engine) and then overtime as adaptation happens it causes idle issues again to compensate. But now I can actually reset, adjust, monitor and do clean diagnostics.

Very happy. Thanks robertf.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 AM
TReK

thanks for closing the loop. Congrats!

Old 10-20-2020, 11:48 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this really work??

I know this is an old post...
Having the same high idle issues, reseting the TPS has worked in the past. So to have an option to do it myself for 60 bucks is awesome!
But... is there anything "bad" that could happen introducing this software fix to the ECU??
The info on this forum is amazing!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Adaptive value reset