Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice - 98 Disc I - Should I purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice - 98 Disc I - Should I purchase?

Hi- I'm new here but looking for some advice from the experts. I'm looking to buy a used SUV and found a pretty good deal on a discovery I. $3400, 110k miles in good mechanical shape overall (taken from sellers post):

-4WD
-Working radio and A/C
-New fuel pump
-New battery
-New wiper motors
-Semi new tires and full sized spare
-Tow package
-Brush guard
-Two keys

The Bad:
-Leaking rear sun roof, (have replacement sunroof that will be included, i just never got around to installing it since i keep it in the garage mostly and the leaking is minor while driving)
-Fuel gauge works intermittently (recent observation, may just be a loose wire, im looking into it)
-various minor rust spots (doorjam, rear step, etc.)
-Passenger window can be finicky (I can show you the trick for it)
-rear door lock actuators need adjustment (I can also show you the trick for them)

My question is this; given the listed needed repairs, are these something i reasonably inclined person could fix on their own? Or, how much would you expect to put into these repairs if taken into a shop? I'm pretty torn between this car and a jeep cherokee for the same price point but with 50k more miles. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think 3400 is high unless in absolute perfect condition with no rust - but verify with Blue book values.

you need to be wary of rust - they tend to have a bit and can kill any value left - check the rear door jams, and under the brake booster in the engine bay - if they are toasted chances are alot of other areas are also.
search the forum youll find alot of discussion on these items

I would be interested in maintenance history, and what shape are the brakes in, b/c that can be a pricey job if you dont do the work yourself.

leaking sunroof - likely the front is leaking too - headliner must be removed

fyi i looked at a cherokee too when I got my 98 in 06' and the rover was the better of the two (cherokee's tend to be at end of life at 100k from what Ive seen)

old land rovers require either deep pockets or ability to do the maintenance work yourself and with a good working knowledge of where to source good parts for decent prices. If you have that ability they are fairly easy to work on and tons of people on here are very very helpfull.
Plus with their age parts can be found for pretty cheap.
with that said - the 98's have a good engine and tranny - seen many in the scrap yard with 225 to 275k on the clock. (I personally wouldnt purchase anything beyond a 98' - way way too many issues)

good luck

The following users liked this post:
Jill Morgan (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Bit of a toss up, yr gonna have to do considerable work on either, being as old as they are, to keep em going reliably. Possibly a little more work with the Rover, but in "our" opinion, it'll be worth it by having something different than the millions of Jeepers everywhere. You don't really want to be one of "them", do you??

IMHO, Rovers are a bit simpler to work on than Jeeps. But if you find a good Independent mechanic who knows them well and has a good reputation, he'll take care of you, b/c he'll want your future business. Let us know where you are, and hopefully someone here can suggest a local guy.

Jill Morgan (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM
4wd High

I'm located in Seattle. I know of a couple of LR mechanics in the area, but would definitely love some advice on reputation for these.

And you're right... I'm really cheering for the LR team here and would love to make it happen. I'm just a little gun shy on the work. HOwever, I'd be stepping out of a financed car and would be getting rid of payments. So, all in all I figure if i spend 3k on a rover and drop 1k into maintenance up front I'll be happy if I can get it to last a few years without major problems. This particular Discovery sounds like it's in great running shape with a pretty capable owner - it makes me feel a bit more confident.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone .. and please keep it coming! This is hugely helpful in making a good decision.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

First, welcome to The NutHouse! Rememeber to take and share your meds and you will fit right in.

The list of "The Bad" isn't even near the start of the issues. Just a start, ask if the head gaskets have been replaced. I have a simple rule when it comes to used cars...."the seller always knows more than the buyer". Meaning they aren't going to tell you all the problems that they know about. And a '98 DI for $3400 is too much.

"..HOwever, I'd be stepping out of a financed car and would be getting rid of payments. So, all in all I figure if i spend 3k on a rover and drop 1k into maintenance up front I'll be happy" > THAT's VERY OPTIMISTIC.

IMHO, if this is the truck for you spend a few dollars and GET IT INSPECTED 1st by a Indy LR SHOP!!!!!! This will be the best money you ever spend. Good Luck!

This base DI LE for $3400, I stand by my "price is too high", sorry NO > https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/c...300323959.html

Last edited by OverRover; 10-02-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Jill Morgan (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by OverRover
GET IT INSPECTED 1st by a Indy LR SHOP!!!!!! This will be the best money you ever spend. Good Luck!
Yes! I definitely will do this. I've located a mechanic that specializes in European cars near the sellers city and hope to get a full check scheduled.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:05 PM
4wd High

@OverRover Yep, thats the one. I'm hoping to negotiate down, but after checking edmunds & KBB it seems like this price is off base by at least 1k.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

If/when you go look at this truck take some good pics(of anything and everything) and post them if you want some input. You'll find many here have a lot of LR knowledge (mostly from making BAD decisions) and are willing to help out.

Jill Morgan (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that price is on the high side without the rust. With the rust its way high. Unless that rust is totally superficial.

Jill Morgan (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

I own a 98 LE. Bone stock and all original condition. If you have any questions as to the one you are considering or need a photo.

Looks like the tail pipe is an aftermarket one.

I have one concern and maybe it’s just the low res photos. The rain rail, is it damaged?

Quick Reply: Advice - 98 Disc I - Should I purchase?