Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice PLEASE....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice PLEASE....

I purchased a 2003 Disc. II HSE7 for my wife with 77k on it. started noticing water on passenger floor. was told it was ac condensation. Next wife calls, says temp gauge is high and truck is running funny. I check/fill coolant, truck is fine for weeks. Then wife calls & says truck over heated and "green liquid" is flowing out all over. I have it towed back to dealer/individual Where I purchased. He tells me needs new Motor..$$$ help please.. If I do need a motor wher should I purchase one. Im in Dallas/ Ft Worth area. Thank you in advance.. ( this all happened in 3 months 1,100 miles

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Do not approve any more work at dealer.

2. This is a D2, the heater core under the dash has the green coolant in it at all times, and circulating, even if heat is turned off. That is by design.

3. Would suggest you take to another shop, tow it. They can bypass heater core with a short piece of pipe, for test purposes. They can do a coolant pressure test to see if there are more leaks. They can also evaluate for head gasket leak, which might have been part of original coolant loss problem. If there is white smoke out the exhaust, that is a strong indicator of HG problem. But there is a chemical test for combustion gas in coolant that will certainly tell the tale.

4. If you needed head gaskets, about $1500 - $1700 at a shop, about $400 in parts and machine shop work if you DIY.

5. IMHO you have not had enough issues to warrant an engine, unless they can be a lot more specific. I would bypass heater core and check for normal temperature operation.

6. We want to have money for your wife to do holiday shopping, not dealer's wife....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
5th Gear

Thank You. Any known (honest) Mechanics in my area?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your wife blew up the engine in your new truck.
It is a all aluminum engine and it does not take to overheating at all, run it in the red once and count your blessings, twice and you now have a boat anchor.
Unless the dealer is going to replace the engine for free do not let them do the work, buy a used engine and have a indie shop do it for you.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

Where is the best place to locate an engine?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you need to locate a suitable mechanic first. They can source engines, if needed, either rebuilt, or used from a salvage vehicle. You would want to go thru them on any kind of reconditioned / rebuilt engine, because there will be a warranty.

From what you have said:

1. We know you will need something with the heater core, be it a hose or connection or whole heater core.

2. The loss of coolant could have been the core, or - the core began to leak because internal pressure was too much from a blown head gasket. You may well need head gaskets. They can test for this.

3. Did red temp warning light come on when gauge was high and truck running funny? Operating in that condition is not wise. If engine grossly overheats, it can cause one of the cylinder liners to break loose, and the fix for that can include an new engine block.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
5th Gear

Thank you.. Just hoping someone Can reffer me to a known mechanic in my area.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Three Wheeling

North Texas British is where you want to go. Call Allen at (972) 869-4881.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 AM
5th Gear

WOW! Was told $6500 for motor + $1500 for install.. Now on Ebay and other places found used motor starting at $2500.. What is the vehicle worth as it sits? Its Silver ext black interior.. Just wondering if iths worth fixing? Thank you all for your input.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a good mechanic first! Then make your decision.

Quick Reply: Advice PLEASE....