Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1

Greetings,
Now that my 96 Disco is purring nicely, I'm turning to cosmetic issues.
As from the pix attached, the left rear panels don't match the rest of the willow metallic paint. Pix 1 was color-corrected and contrasted. Pix 2 is afternoon light. I'm guessing it was halfway into being repainted?

1 - Got a quote in North Jersey of $700 to repaint just the two panels, and $3500 to do the full car (includes taking down and repainting the roof rack and bull bar. Any reactions to these prices? I've thought about vinyl wrap, but at $2500 - $3000, it's not such a deal. I doubt if any shop can really match the original willow anyways...
$$-wise, I'll likely look at any options for getting just the panels close to the rest of the car.
I kinda like the unfinished look of the offending panels - maybe I should have the rest of the car match those lol?

2 - the Hellas came with the car but unwired cept for the two on the bars. In my NYC/NJ environment, a little too much. Do these still have value anyways? I might keep the two below, so can they be converted to LED ?? - and would look at short LED bars upstairs.
Thinking of a Yakima windscreen and putting D2 fender flares.
Any pimping ideas most welcome. $$ tight, but I'm in deep love with my D1 too.

Attached Thumbnails Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1-img_8600.jpg   Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1-car-side-3.jpg   Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1-my-rover.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I painted my 96 disco over the summer. First time painting anything. Spent $200 on a gun and $350 on paint and clear coat. A lot of prep work but really happy with the way it turned out. Good luck

Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Quite impossible here. I'm parked in a public garage. BTW, did the paint color codes work out in matching LR colors?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't use Land Rover colors. Mine was the Atai silver. I painted the roof white and the body slate grey. The grey is close enough to the silver that the interior didn't clash too much with the color change

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dicksoutforharambe
I painted my 96 disco over the summer. First time painting anything. Spent $200 on a gun and $350 on paint and clear coat. A lot of prep work but really happy with the way it turned out. Good luck
what did you buy for a paint gun ?

Old 10-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Pimping ideas?? It’s a D1. And a cool looking one as is. If you are wanting to pimp something get a Jeep.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling

You're right. I shouldn't have said pimping - I'm certainly not referring to LEDs under the car. Aside from the paint job, I meant anything to help the car run better. Actually took down the Hellas above. Thanks

Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m gonna start raptor lining mine in black this weekend. Figure it’ll run me about 600 tops to do including a compressor to run the gun.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Have you done any maintenance updates under the hood? How is it running in current state.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi stillruns - not sure of that was for me. Anyways, Ive been overseas last fifteen years, so I had 4 years of waiting for the right 96 D1. 104k miles. Then had Elias Christeas LR renovations in LA check it out and do a 90k service, new gaskets, thermostat, water pump and brake pads. Since then, I've had new Michelins and crank/fuel temp sensor. Runs smooth, no leaks, never had Amigos (knock knock) and starts right up.
Looking to do long road trips now and just get lost.

Quick Reply: Advice: re-Painting and Hella on D1