Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust

Okay, add an exhaust system to the ever growing list of things my DI needs. Walking to the truck this morning & saw a steady stream of smoke coming out of the center of the muffler. Looked & there's a hole about the size of a quarter right in the center of it. Replacement exhaust is a no brainer and Atlantic british has a complete "factory style" replacement for 219.00. Now they also have a Borla system for 779.00 and a Magnaflow for 616.00 that are supposed to bolt right in & give better performance. Now I remember my Ramcharger that I put a 3" duel exhaust on thinking I'd get more power, but all I ended up with was a headache from the drone & unGodly noise in the cabin. I'm not really worrying about the cost or the gas savings that might come if I run my DI for another 100,000 miles to recoup the 400-600.00 or so dollars, but am interested to hear if anyone has any experience on what the actual ROI would be (other than the 5.0 Mustang sound) with the DI (i.e., seat of the pants performance without the constant tooth jaring drone).

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you completely upgrade the exhaust system, i.e. headers etc., you might get slight improvements in mileage and power. Will it be worth it? Probably not. Land Rovers are built for many things, but speed and fuel economy are not among them. I'd go with "factory-style" if it needs replacement and call it a day.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for your honest opinion!! I figured the exhaust would not produce a noticeable performance change (other than sound), but thought I'd ask.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wrongway1
Thanks for your honest opinion!! I figured the exhaust would not produce a noticeable performance change (other than sound), but thought I'd ask.
No problem! That 5.0 Mustang will outrun any Land Rover without even trying, but your Disco can go lots of places the Mustang can't!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Oh, I was referring to the search I did on the site prior to posting my question that mentioned a Land rover with the Flowmaster sounding like a Mustang 5.0, but never mentioned to performance

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling

I am just having the center mufler removed and straight pipe installed this weekend. We really dont need it. makes for a little more raspy note but not much more.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I have to deal with emissions, so I really don't think I could go with cutting a muffler out of the works.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrongway1
I have to deal with emissions, so I really don't think I could go with cutting a muffler out of the works.
Emissions doesnt have anything to do with mufflers.. Although yes they may fail you if it's STUPID loud but it would probably drive you crazy first. The more common method is to remove the REAR muffler not the center one.. this gives it a little bit better sound but not much for performance..

I put headers on my disco and have a flowmaster 40 and I think the headers may have added a few HP but it's still not a muscle car

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I like quiet, I had my center muffler replaced at my local muffler shop a few years ago, $100 out the door, super quiet muffler and I am still pleased with it.
If you want louder/throatier I cant offer any input.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Apparently I mirepresented myself earlier. I was trying to see if there was more benefits than sound from installing a cat back system. The only comment I could find was it made it sound like a Mustang 5.0 with no reference to increased performance. Fuel economy means noting to me as it would take roughly 32,500 miles at a 2MPG increase at today's gas proces to see the first cent of savings. I'm going with a stock replacement & sending the extra on other parts. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust