Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Aftermarket stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo problem

Hey everyone,

I'm having some issues with an aftermarket stereo I installed. I replaced the head unit with the meta harness and bypassed the stock amp using the existing wiring and speakers. Everything seemed to be working fine. One of the rear column speakers was blown so I opted to go ahead and upgrade all four (disconnecting the subs).

I did this using the stock wiring from the rear speakers but running new wire for the front door speakers.

The problem I'm running into is this: after around two minutes of decent quality sound, the music slowly fades out until its completely silent, and then fades back in with not silence but not quite static - just dead noise and no music.

I thought it could be a power issue so I replaced the stock alternator with this:
Amazon Amazon

Its rated at 120 amps so thought it might help. Unfortunately it remains unchanged. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I forgot to mention, I had the original alternator tested at auto zone. It passed initially, but when I let the radio run to failure (like I discussed above) it ended up failing the test.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

The Metra plug you used did you also connect the speaker connections? if you did that is the problem as you are running audio into the factory amp that is located in the passenger kick panel. You will only want to use the power, accessory, ground, and remote turn on or antenna power from the Metra plug. You will then want to run 4 pair s of speaker wire or if you have access to home theater wiring they have a 16/4 conductor cable that you can run 2 of them from the aftermarket radio speaker connections and on the other end you will need to connect it to the factory amp wiring connector. Make sure to unplug the factory amp or remove it as you will not be using it. If you decide to install a aftermarket subwoofer amp (RECOMMENDED) connect the aftermarket amplifier to the aftermarket radio for signal and connect the remote turn on or antenna power wire to turn on your aftermarket amp. You can also utilize the factory subwoofer and replace the speakers in that panel with some inexpensive woofers (MODIFYING THE SUBWOOFER HOUSING IS NEEDED). All you will need to do is run the wiring for the subwoofer amp signal wires (RCA CABLE /w turn on), power for your amp, and speaker cable from the amp to the subwoofer. When you are in the back door after removing the subwoofer assembly, remove the factory subwoofer amplifier as you will not be needing it.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I disconnected the wires at the amp and soldered them straight into the head unit via the harness.

What has me stumped is the stock speakers wee working with this exact wiring scenario.