Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!

Took out the front passenger side carpets and seat since I had some nice weather and some time to spare. What I found was the usual soaking wet carpets and oh yes, wait for it............ RUST!!!! . I posted some pics so people could enjoy and maybe not be as afraid to see whats underneath those Landy carpets. Not bad for a D1 thats going to be 20 years old next March. If anyone was wondering she is slightly louder without the sound deadening. I think I like it that way though. I'll post more pics when I do the driver side and the rear. Oh and if anyone happens to know where I could snag a bracket for the bottom of front passenger seat It would great.

Attached Thumbnails Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!-p-side-rust-1.jpg   Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!-p-side-rust-2.jpg   Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!-p-side-rust-3.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That'll buff out.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah honestly that's pretty minor compared to how bad it can be.

The tranny tunnel gets pretty toasty in the summer so be aware of that if u leave the foam out.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Yeah honestly that's pretty minor compared to how bad it can be.

The tranny tunnel gets pretty toasty in the summer so be aware of that if u leave the foam out.
I'll consider myself lucky for now. I haven't gotten to the drive side yet, the rear by the gas tank needs completely new metal. The goal is to remedy all the rust by the end of the summer. Read your thread and looked at your pics so I figure why not give it a shot. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wish mine looked that good when i took the carpets out

its a good idea to ditch the sound deadening anyway, it holds moisture like crazy and contributes greatly to the rusting - in my opinion

Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Mudding

Already ditched the sound deadening stuff. Now that I have the bare floor uncovered and it snowed today I can see where water may have been coming in. I noticed a drip and small puddle right underneath the glove box. Could this be an indicator that the windshield has a leak? Anyone have this problem?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disco28, currently on the d2 boards I guy found a leak coming in from under the cabin filter area. Just another spot to check.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I found 2 main leak points on each side.

1. Take the plastic end covers off (should be able to do it with hood still on) and check for a rust hole at the lower corners of the windshield.

2. If you take the fenders off, you will see a rectangular support rail that runs from the cab to the headlights. As u can see from my rust thread, the part next to the cab will corrode badly. The inside of this support will also rust which allows water that gets into the support into the cab. I sealed off all the screwholes with duct tape and silicone so water can't get into the rail. I don't think this fixed the leak for good, but it has stopped it for now.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I wish my rust problem were that minor!

I can see the road tru the footwels.
I started with repairing the rear floor, then I got adventurous and checked under the front carpet. That day I spoke much colourful french.
So far the areas treated with POR15 are holding up very well.
I'm waiting for a trip to the USA to get some Naval Jelly to treat the floor rust before welding patches, the POR stuff is not as effective and much more costly.
My footwells are covered with a piece of "Icing Shield" from roofing and a recycled tires rubber mat. The heat from the exhaust dries the footwells up really fast... of course, SWMBO doesn't like it a single bit but I like the extra leg room.
Just waiting for the summer to work on it.
You might check out "ZincFroid" paint, it's used in Europe.
SD

Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
I found 2 main leak points on each side.

1. Take the plastic end covers off (should be able to do it with hood still on) and check for a rust hole at the lower corners of the windshield.

2. If you take the fenders off, you will see a rectangular support rail that runs from the cab to the headlights. As u can see from my rust thread, the part next to the cab will corrode badly. The inside of this support will also rust which allows water that gets into the support into the cab. I sealed off all the screwholes with duct tape and silicone so water can't get into the rail. I don't think this fixed the leak for good, but it has stopped it for now.
Thanks for the heads up by the windshield. I'll check those out once the weather gets better. I can't wait to take the fenders off and see the horror show. I'll throw some pics up for everyone at some point. What kind of welding equipment did you use? MIG or TIG?

Quick Reply: Ahhhhhh!!!! Rust oh nooooooo!