Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Air con diagnosis please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 06:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air con diagnosis please help

ac is not working

Today I wanted to fix the ac in my 1997 disco, so I started by doing a full system evac and charge. The system was holding a good amount of Freon and not leaking, but now it is in 100% proper spec.

my next step was to see what was working/not working. I turned on the fan, blower motor working 100%, and then tried turning on the ac. The button for the ac needs to be held at a specific spacing to activate but I can hear a relay click when it is illuminated, nothing else.

I found the clicking relay, and tested it. All pins had current. This relay is the compressor clutch relay.

I found another relay that was half way unplugged, when I plugged it in the condenser fans now kick on when the ac switch is illuminated. This relay is the condenser fan relay.

I then used the wiring diagram to look for the ac dual pressure switch and front ac evaporator temperature switch. They are supposed to be “at right rear of engine compartment, in refrigerant line” and “on left side of heater/evaporator unit” respectively.

I do not know where the heater/evaporator is or what it is and I was unsuccessful finding any sort of connection in the line. Locations of these plugs would be appreciated.

I then followed the compressor clutch relay through a few more relays that are located in the left side of the luggage compartment behind the trim panel, but all I found back there was an unplugged connector. This was the case in both of my 1997 discoveries, although this car had two connectors whereas the other car only had the larger of the two.

this unplugged connector is part of the circuit for the compressor clutch relay, and all of the wires that are unplugged correspond to wires in the wiring diagram that seem to be necessary for the compressor low pressure and high pressure switch to function properly.

am I missing a board for the connector to plug in to, thus leaving the circuit unfinished, or is this normal for a car that does not have rear vents/blower motor/ac? Am I missing something somewhere else down the line? I feel like it’s strange that this connector involved with my issue is unplugged but it also seems like maybe that’s normal since both my cars don’t have it.

I attached the wiring diagram and the picture of the connector

Last edited by Fabernackle; 05-23-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Please help in title
Old 05-23-2023, 07:35 PM
Overlanding

Forgot to add, on of the wires on the connector in the luggage compartment has power with the ignition on, which further leads me to believe that this is where the circuit is incomplete

Old 05-24-2023, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,667 Posts

That connection is for a D1 equipped with dual air. When the snowflake button is engaged the efans and compressor should come & the system should cool & cycle

Old 05-24-2023, 05:34 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
That connection is for a D1 equipped with dual air. When the snowflake button is engaged the efans and compressor should come & the system should cool & cycle

thank you. I replaced the compressor clutch relay today and now I have power to the plug at the compressor, but the clutch does not engage. I forgot to check between the plug and the compressor but the wires looked fine. I’ll check them with the test light later.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,667 Posts

You can hook up a small 7ah 12v battery to the clutch and test if it engages.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:37 AM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

"The button for the ac needs to be held at a specific spacing to activate but I can hear a relay click when it is illuminated, nothing else."

Those buttons are a little difficult to get to, but easy to clean. This may be the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

If you have power to the compressor clutch, it should engage the compressor, unless the ground side is not working. I have had problems with grounds on my D1....