Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Alpine Windows and Headliner Projects

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alpine Windows and Headliner Projects

This weekends projects consist of replacing the headliner (at Headliner Express in Orlando) and removing the Alpine Windows to get rid of some light rust around the frames, under the lower portion of the seals on the exterior. I'm also replacing the Drivers window motor and lock assembly (purchased for a combined total of $100 from Roverland in Tampa) but I've got that covered... the upper window assembly is time consuming but relatively easy.

Headliner is not a problem, just time consuming plus, Bill is doing most of it since my right hand is broke.

My question is about the Alpine windows. Have any of you pulled the windows and replaced the seals yourself? I can rebuild my engine, tranny and troubleshoot all my own electrical issues BUT I AM NOT A WINDOW GUY.

Special tools? Proceedure for removing and refitting? Useful tips and suggestions will earn earn you a beer and dinner next time you are in the Orlando area. Come visit the Mouse and I'll show you a few secret trails around town too.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is how I do glass.

Me-"Hey Nicole, I have a broken window"
My Insurance agent-"No Problem Phil, the glass truck will be to your house tomorrow"
Me-"Thank you"

I will still drink a beer with you though.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Winching
Default mmmmm beeer

LOL... love that technique! However, I'm doing this and taking pictures to share with the forum. So, this will hopefully benefit everyone from here on.

Too bad I sold my place in South Haven on the dunes otherwise I'd come up and deliver that beer!

Seriously, gimmie some tips for 'self installation'. This will help everyone in the future.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You left South Haven for Orlando? Are you nuts man?!
Oh wait, I'm nuts for still living here.

I have no tips on this repair, sorry.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Winching
Default Hijack alert!

I guess I can hijack my own $#!t.

Lived in Chicago... had a small place in South Haven. Reason I moved... I love flip flops and TIRED of cold @$$ weather.

...and back the the Alpine Windows... anyone?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be mistaken, but the object is to pull out the center strip of your moulding.
(Dull silverware knife?)

This weakens the rest of the rubber moulding so that you can coax the moulding out of the body panel with the glass still in it.
(don't know if you're going to push in or out - my guess is you'll push the whole mess in)

(Years ago we did mercedes truck windshields this way)

On reinstall, put a long piece of cord in groove around outside of rubber and while someone's pushing it into place, you're on other side pulling cord, causing it to roll out over metal edge of body panel.

Kinda hard to explain, but actually quite simple (maybe spray silicone around edge of metal to help rubber roll out.

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 08-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know there is a write-up in the Body Repair Manual portion of the RAVE. I read it while back, my 97 has a few little holes under the Alpine windows as well so I have been contemplating popping my Alpines out. I have also contemplated just scrapping the rust away and using some black 50 year RTV sealant in a wide bead over all that mess.

Take some pics and let us know how aggravating the removal and reinstallation is. I would probably have to replace my moulding because it has a few splits at the outside corners as well. That is why I was contemplating the RTV route and just seal it up real good after scrapping away as much rust as possible with small file or pneumatic angle die grinder and abrasive tips.

I also have the original headliner out for now until I get the Alpine window rust holes resolved.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there is an entire glass section in the rave manual as stated above.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Winching
Default Raver

I read rave for fun, to fall asleep, sittin on the throne...

Here, I am just looking for personal experience, through trial and error from others.

reading is good, doing equals experience.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to combine both sets of resources.

Quick Reply: Alpine Windows and Headliner Projects