Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Aluminum 4 core radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum 4 core radiator?

Anyone used one of the aluminum 4 core radiators off of ebay or Amazon. They are about $250 I'm guessing they are Chinese made.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Good luck with transmission & oil cooler fittings working.

P.S. I just tried a 3 row radiator out on a customers car & no go. Radiator mounts were correct top & sides (unlike 4 core which have the side mounts completely wrong). The Transmission cooler lines on this one were the correct diameter for the line to sit into, but the threads were night and day. Oil Cooler wise it looked fine, but no point in going any further since the transmission lines were a no go..... All those Ebay sellers have no friggin clue if they fit or not... They just list em compatible because they fit in the darn hole. Besides that until someone takes the time to get a hold of an OEM LR radiator from a 94-99 D1 and match them up they will NEVER work. You are not supposed to modify or destroy the transmission oil cooler lines or oil cooler lines just to make a Chinese Radiator possibly work.

I will have to admit Radiator choices for a RRC/D1 are pathetic IMHO. It ranges from the Plastic Tank Nissens which are prone to "seep" from the lower outlet area due to the neck being separately connected via 2 M8 10mm head bolts with an Oring & over time with hot/cold cycles they'll either need tightening up (loctite should come standard on them....) or if it strips out replacement. Then you have the Alisport Radiator's which basically cost the KBB Value of your D1 (it would be nice if they offered a value line or something...). Then there is keeping your old ancient radiator and finding a decent shop to repair it which seems to sadly be a thing of the past. Both the shops that did brass radiator repairs have closed near me as people just buy the plastic tank stuff vs repair their old stuff anymore.

My 95 D1 is jinxed when it comes to Radiators apparently. When I first bought it the radiator leaked. Ordered an aluminum one & it didn't fit and Ebay seller was like tough turkey and 356.00 out the window.... Then I ordered a Nissens replacement and as I was adding coolant at about the 90% mark it starts gushing out a crack in the tank from shipping... I did get my $$$ back on the Nissens, and I had my original tank fixed. The repair lasted 1 year and it started to seep again. Friend finds me a what appeared new brass one while he was yanking the 3.9L out. Been driving it and wouldn't ya know it the lower oil cooler line when you wiggle it coolant comes out from all around it. Apparently cracked around the fitting..... With no where to take it = trash pile. So currently my 4.6L 95 D1 is parked until I can afford an Alisport because I am done with all these poor radiators!

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-04-2023 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (05-04-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 07:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

For my D2 I bought an aluminum 4core off of EBay, I was lucky that all the lines connected although it was no where close to mounting with the original mounts. I am pretty good at fabricating and managed to make my own mounts and secure the fan shroud but it was a lot of work. In the end it would have been better to use a good quality replacement

Old 05-07-2023, 08:12 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmfw2x
Anyone used one of the aluminum 4 core radiators off of ebay or Amazon. They are about $250 I'm guessing they are Chinese made.
Yes:
Adapters are needed for the coolers. I found a crack in mine and replaced it with a re-cored stock rad.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

That radiator is not how 99.9% of those radiators come they don't have connections like that at all for the coolers.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-08-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
That radiator is not how 99.9% of those radiators come they don't have connections like that at all for the coolers.
Well, I only bought one, not a hundred, but it can't be the only one as adapters for the purpose are readily available.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

OEM style which 99.9% of D1's from 94-99 use a radiator which already has Male fittings to accept the Female line fittings. What you are showing is a double male fitting and if the cheap Chinese Radiator is using the OEM setup those will not work plain and simple. The issue with 99.9% of the Chinese Radiators is the thread pitch on those Male fittings, or the diameter of the inner hole to accept the hard line properly.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 08:51 PM
Drifting

OEM style which 99.9% of D1's from 94-99 use a radiator which already has Male fittings to accept the Female line fittings.
Yes
What you are showing is a double male fitting
Yes
...and if the cheap Chinese Radiator is using the OEM setup those will not work plain and simple
It's not. And they do.

Last edited by Greg_M; 05-08-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

If the radiator is copying the OEM design the cooler line fittings are all Male fittings and are welded onto the radiator tanks. They just screw up matching the thread pitch/diameters.

​​​​​​If all aftermarket required those adapters then yes as long as the thread pitch/style/diameter is the same it will work.

I just searched all over Ebay & Amazon and not 1 radiator popped with female fittings for the coolers.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-09-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:53 AM
Drifting

If the radiator is copying the OEM design the cooler line fittings are all Male fittings and are welded onto the radiator tanks.
Who said it was? in post #5 you wrote: "That radiator is not how 99.9% of those radiators come they don't have connections like that at all for the coolers" so I thought you understood what fittings it has.

[QUOTE=Best4x4;I just searched all over Ebay & Amazon and not 1 radiator popped with female fittings for the coolers.[/QUOTE]
I just did the same and every one - yes 100%, all - have female cooler fittings. Pic below.

I believe this thread is no longer useful to the OP (or anyone else). It's clear to me the female cooler fittings are the norm. If you believe something else, fine by me. I suggest we agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: Aluminum 4 core radiator?