Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Am I going crazy or is there some trick to this brake pin?? Urgent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I going crazy or is there some trick to this brake pin?? Urgent.

I'm coming to the last part of the current maintenance I'm doing on my disco, and I'm trying to bleed and chAnge my brake pads, but I can't get the god damn brake pads out. HOW in gods name do you remove that brake pad pin with the butterfly copper tie at the end? I don't recall anyone saying wwe needed needle nose pliers in any tutorials and its going to be kind of hard to go drive to a store covered in break gunk and my car jacked up missing two tires.

Can anyone let me know if I'm doing something Wrong here? If i'm not supposed to use needle nose pliers, does that just mean I'm supposed to stench it from the other end of the pin, the more rounded head? Because that thing doesn't look like it's budging. Trying to get this done before tomorrow and work, please advise.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, removing the cotter pins and removing the bigger slide pins is the only way to remove the brake pads. If you don't have needle nose pliers, try regular pliers or even bending them with a flat-head screwdriver.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you need pliers to get those out, flatten the bend ends so they fit through the holes in the calipers.
You will need to pull on them from the side facing you.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I advocate having a $4-500 beater POS car.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Mudding

I thought so spike, glad I checked, but I was worried that was it as nor of the pins seems to be stuck. I was going to change the front brakes first, then do the back and proceed to do a flush but I really don't know how I can get this bottom pin out. The spring compresses just fine, and I can even move the butterfly portion, but the pin itself isn't moving like the others, vie doused it with some liquid wrench periodically over the past few hours (late last night/ early this morning) and had to LONGBOARD to work (lol) since the rover was still on Jack stands and the Jack.

Is there anything stronger than liquid wrench to loosen the pin? I think I've made some progress but it doesn't really seem like i'm accomplishing too much more. If I cant get this one off I'm going to reattach the caliper, and try to do the other three since their pins seem fine. I know brakes ar supposed to be changed in pairs, but if worse comes to worse I'll just pay a local shop to do my front left pad. If I have to do this though, should I wait to do a full bleed until all four new sets of pads are on?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Tap it out with a hammer.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Tap it out with a hammer.
Thanks man, I jUst called my stepfather and he suggested the same, don't know why I didn't think about that.

Damn I'll be so glad when all of this is done. In the past week and a half I've done my transmission, had to get the transfer case done somewhere else, oil and oil filter, iacv and throttle body, ps fluid, etc. Just need to finish these damn brakes and throw in the new battery I bought ( I'd rather start a new rather than try to clean off the corrosion) and i can finally drive the rover I bought myself !!!!!! the end of work cant come fast enough today.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hammer and drift is what I use.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Mudding

I get off of work in a bit so I'll rush home and try the hammer bit. If that doesn't work I'll try to buy some brake grease and see if that helps.

No joke, of all the stuff I've done just improving this LR since bigot it a week and a half ago, I never could have possibly fathomed that the brakes would be the thing giving me issues. I'm still trying to figure out how you all just bend those butterfly pins flat to the point that they can be worked out of those tiny *** holes. Why didn't they just use a screw or something -_-. Was looking forward to finishing brakes but ONE pin took me longer to flatten ( haven't removed it yet in case I cant get the other clip down) then loosening all the lug nuts on the tires, jacking it up and moving the caliper did.

Is there some tool I can use besides these pliers?? Maybe I'm just not particularly dextrous with my hands, and I'm not usually the one to complain for challenges, but this isn't even a fun challenge. Staring at a tiny pin trying to bend it straight is meticulous and boring as all hell.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Use a bigger pair of pliers, the bigger the head the better/flatter you will make the pin.
You may need to take a center punch and enlarge the big end alittle and stick the tip of the punch in there and use that to pull it out.

Quick Reply: Am I going crazy or is there some trick to this brake pin?? Urgent.