Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another day owning a rover

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another day owning a rover

More of a vent post but do want to know what else to ask the mechanic to check while it is in the shop.

I purchased 1998 Disco 1 LSE to replace a Pathfinder knowing it was going to need some work. Well it is finally that time to get that work done on it before winter and when I will be needing it on a daily basis.

I went out to adjust the swivel ball pre-load and low and behold it was a 2.5lbs. This is where the fun began due to one side gasket just letting go and draining the entire swivel ball onto my driveway. I remember asking if the previous owner had this serviced and he did and provided a receipt from a local shop.

So I called up my mechanic and he said something had to be wrong for the pre-load to be so low. I normally would do the work myself but I am going to be traveling the entire month and was last month.

He is going to do a complete swivel ball rebuild with bearings, seals, tie rods, and power steering pump. I have the pump already and total with parts will be around the $1600 to $1700 depending on what he finds in the swivels.

1) Is this fair price for rebuilding basically the front end?
2) What else should I have him check. He said the shocks are fine for the time being.

Another day owning a rover...at least it will be safe to drive after this.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

98 should have 00 grease in swivels not sure how this can just drain out unless the seal was gone

Mine was real low when I did them just pulled shims to get the right pre load no biggie

What's up with the p/s pump? Mine leaked all over turned out to be the lines and hoses for the reservoir

I would check fluid in rears and transfer case as well as be sure the breather vent lines are clear , clogged vent lines let the diff oil to get pushed past seals and thins out swivel grease and leaks out at wheels

Have the drive shaft u joints checked and greased

Have front pan hard bar bushings checked/ replaced with urethane

Fuel filter cheap insurance, plugs, wires

Repack wheel bearings all 4 wheels new bearing seal, double lip for defender
Got an ultra gauge? How's coolant temp? Not by gauge on dash it is crap

Not sure if price is good or not I do all my own if I can

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It did drain out and left a big puddle on my driveway. I added a half a tube of CV joint grease to limp it up to the shop to have the swivels done. When he called he stated that it again had some more dripping out of it.

The steering pump has been a issue with this rover since I purchased it. I had another shop look over the truck and they noted that it was leaking. Got it thrown in with the sale since I always figured I would do it one day when I had time.

I am not sure on the price either thus why I asked. I always try to do my own work but I am going to be gone for most of this month. Hard to work on a truck when you are gone 25 or more days a month. This is now month 3...I rather spend the money on the chrysler and get it on the road but this needs to be safe for the wife to drive.