Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another VSS question....and a random

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Because they are no longer being made, supply and demand, if you wait long enough they will be all but free because all of the DI's will be Pepsi cans.
Do you know that for sure? I would bet a factory in China is popping these out at .50 a unit.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Discolife
Do you know that for sure? I would bet a factory in China is popping these out at .50 a unit.
No I do not know that for 100%, but it does stand to reason, the newest DI is 14yrs old, as a general rule they stop making parts for cars once they reach 10yrs old.
Specialty cars and parts will be made by after market companies as long as there is a market for them.
The DI's are a dime a dozen, they can be bought for $1000 all day long.
Not much of a aftermarket parts demand for cheap cars and trucks.
Do a search for a brand new VSS on a non-Rover sight, you'll be hard pressed to find one is my bet.
Outside the US I'm sure you can find them, but then whats the cost?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

For the price of VSS, you could buy a decent GPS (speed over ground) and an aftermarket crusie control.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
For the price of VSS, you could buy a decent GPS (speed over ground) and an aftermarket crusie control.

Does not the VSS supply needed data to the ECU, and if so would not removing it from the circuit cause other issues? I agree that a GPS would be the cheap way out, but would it be the best?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sochuck
Does not the VSS supply needed data to the ECU, and if so would not removing it from the circuit cause other issues? I agree that a GPS would be the cheap way out, but would it be the best?
You are correct sir.
The ECU can substitute default parameters for road speed based on the other inputs, but it wont be as efficient that way.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

OK, so yesterday my VSS started to get flakey on me. For the first 5 or so miles of driving the speedo was dead, then miraculously sprung to life.

Driving back home the same thing occurred. Even threw the code P0500 (VSS malfunction) which I cleared. Same thing, a couple of miles later the speedo springs to life and all is well.

I know there are problems with an over active VSS (limiting spark and fuel) but what are the chance I have a real problems with an under active VSS? And what might make the little devil 'wake up' after the engine has come up to temp? Or is it even a temp issue? Or was that just plain luck even though it happened two times sequentially?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

My best guess Walt is that your VSS is failing and once it heats up it starts to work.
The "A" typical VSS malfunction is to cut spark because it thinks you are speeding, but as we all know statistically that does not mean that will be the only fault to occur with them.
If it were me I would source a new one.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VSS photo?

I'm a bit startled at the quoted price of $180 for a VSS.

I haven't seen one, and only have the RAVE manual diagram to show me it, but the device is just flange mount gear tooth sensor in a barrel case. I'm guessing that they're 3 wire devices, correct?

There are quite a few of these available that look like they would fit, and the single piece prices range from about $29 to $40.

Anyone got a photo they can post? and/or dimensions?

I've actually got a couple of these in my shop I was using for some development work. Although I'm not going to get to the underside of my D1 for some time (interior is totally striped while I clean & rewire & it's buried in snow), I will check this out in the future.

Something to consider is that Rover isn't a huge manufacturer, and used off the shelf parts wherever possible.

For instance, the 1997 D1 uses an SRS controller from TRW. Maserati also used the same controller. The ABS system is from WABCO, and although I haven't found anyone else using it yet, WABCO makes diagnostic tools for it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Would love to save a few bucks on a small item such as this. Before I order I'm going to check connectivity and wiring.

Attached Thumbnails Another VSS question....and a random-w01331608979oes.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VSS image

That doesn't look anything like what's shown in the RAVE.

Quick Reply: Another VSS question....and a random