Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.

What's going on all, finally got everything up and running (for now, I'll be posting later in my threads to update them) and there were two cosmetic issues outside I wanted to fix but I was just quoted what I'm pretty sure is an obscene amount ($1200) to fix the two items.

The door doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in pictures so I may just leave it as trying to find another door from another LR that matches my color may be difficult (not much fading but matching another's might be hard), but I'd like to put the rear left bumper cover on and the PO backed into a tree bending the end of the bumper arm making the bumper cover sit off and part of the bumper can be seen from under the cover. I'm thinking of trying to bend it back myself, but I don't have anything to really heat it up safely (used a hair dryer to pop out the small dent in the bumper cover, if anyone needs info. on this let me know).

Anyone got any thoughts? If this is really a $1200 job I can just live with the door like that and I'll buy a used bumper, but I suspect it is not at all and someone was just trying to get over on me. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with being quoted for body work so I'm not sure.

Attached Thumbnails Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.-photo_1.jpg   Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.-photo_2.jpg   Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.-photo_3.jpg   Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.-photo_4.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will Tillery sells replacement doors and end caps for cheap. I'd buff the part out by the tail light, throw the end cap on and possibly just look at replacing the door if you can find your color.

I will sell you my whole 95 for $1200 includes all staight body panels

Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Leave it, it adds character. Make up a good story like "That's from when I was doing the V-notch in Moab".
The bumper endcap should be cheap and easy to replace. For that matter finding a used stock bumper should be cheap and easy too.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Head to 3 different body shops and tell them you need a quote for insurance purposes. Tell them you are getting quotes from different shops so they know. Then compare.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Mudding

LOL Jake I thought the same thing when I got that message. I'll try what you said chris-bob. And that's what I was hoping to do, just buff the bumper back into shape and slap the bumper cover on. The only reason I haven't done it now is because it's bent in and so you can see part of the bumper even with the cover on on the side of the car. I may just go find another bumper if I really can't get some help buffing it out, but I'll talk to my mechanic today who I'm close with, he may do body work and would likely do that for free for me.

And yea, I'm more likely going to just keep the dent than pay someone to work it out or try to find a matching colored one. Thanks for the advice all.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
I will sell you my whole 95 for $1200 includes all staight body panels
Does it run?

Edit: crap, never mind. I just saw where you are.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98D1Chap
Does it run?

Edit: crap, never mind. I just saw where you are.
It runs like a champ but doesnt have floors.. Missing a head light and a VSS

I'll give you half off the price if you come get it

Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

buy yourself an aftermarket steel bumper so it wont happen again check out underground 4x4 in texas

for the door like Jake said hit up a parts guy either Will Tillery www.rovaguy.com or Paul Grant paulgrant@mac.com and see if you can find a shell the same color.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much clearance do you have between the tires and the body? From the picture angle it is hard to tell, but it appears that you may need fresh springs if yours are original, they tend to sag badly.

Appearance is a much lower priority than perforamnce and functionality on these older DI's in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
How much clearance do you have between the tires and the body? From the picture angle it is hard to tell, but it appears that you may need fresh springs if yours are original, they tend to sag badly.

Appearance is a much lower priority than perforamnce and functionality on these older DI's in my opinion.
Agreed. The clearance looks normal though, I'll try to get a better angle. In any case I've decided to leave the door as it is and call him "Scar" . I also ended up just grabbing a rear left fender or whatever we would call what the bumper cover attaches too. Unfortunately I'll have to run to the hardware store tomorrow to get a longer screw to screw the bumper cover onto the fender again as I can't put the fender and bumper cover on as one unit as it's intended, and I've only got two holes where I can screw it back in (which should be fine, my other stock one is on with one and I know my old Disco was attached with one), but it's impossible to stick anything back there to screw it. Anyone have any ideas or should I just get a longer screw and hand turn it in as far as possible?

Quick Reply: Any body work guys? Need some second opinions.