Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

anyone use sea foam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default anyone use sea foam?

I got 180k on my motor and was thinking of cleaning it up. Was wondering if anybody used sea foam in the past and if you had any luck with it. Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

i have used it in my '96 many times. never in the oil as i have been running a good synthetic for the past few years. i have used it in the fuel tank and i do an induction cleaning at least once a year with the Seafoam on all my Discoverys.

some people have had issues after doing a Seafoam induction cleaning. i have not.

your mileage may vary.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicksoutforharambe
I got 180k on my motor and was thinking of cleaning it up. Was wondering if anybody used sea foam in the past and if you had any luck with it. Thanks

Did you end up trying it? I just tried seafoam for first time today in my 03 D2 but after I got home so didn’t run it afterward but will be in the morning. And I put mine directly into oil as I read there are many diff ways. And putting into oil sounded like best bet for my noisy lifters. But I had wondered if anyone has ever did both at same time? Like into oil and also into fuel tank.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, I put a can in the gas tank and sprayed one in the intake. I ran it for 60 miles so it could clean up the lifters. then I dropped my oil pan and cleaned all the crud out of there. Put new oil and filter on along with the lucas heavy duty oil treatment. It runs great. Before I did this my oil pressure light would come on when I was idling and go off when I gave it some gas. Since doing this it hasn't come back on. Good luck

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Mudding

Exact same for me! The previous owners ran Lucas as well but when I fixed and changed everything the male friends I had helping me said not to do Lucas but I will say prob Bc when I changed the oil right after buying it March last year what came out of it was insane! Thick as paint! No joke. But oil pressure light comes on exact same. I legit just changed my oil last wk and used rotella this time as I read a ton good about it on here. Thanks for the info!

Melissa

Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

I have used it in the gas tank, and in the oil shortly before changing and have never had any negative effects. I used it back in the day on my BMW and Porsche with same results.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Have used BG44k in fuel, BG109 (also called MOA or was) in oil before a change, and SeaFoam on a 95 3.9L induction, put it in after the MAF, little vacuum hose that sips a bit at a time (used the liquid stuff not spray) from a plastic cup.

It helps a bit on heinously mistreated motors.

Rotella is good (opinions always change), cheap and has the ZDDP for being a diesel oil. Personally we have good results using it for a few vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Mudding

So you guys think Lucas is also good to use? I guess previous owners on mine must’ve just used wayyyy too much prob on top of not changing the dang oil too but it was the craziest thing I had ever seen. It almost scared me at first. The oil poured like paint! It was horrible. I paid 3k for the truck and have out 1k or more into it. Just keeps on giving me minor probs. I have not started it yet after putting in the seafoam. I just got home so I guess I better get the smoke out and cleared lol. But just the occasional won’t start after running it all day idk it’s crazy but if it does that only hear clicking and I will put it in N open my door put my foot out and start pushing a lil then turn her over and bam she starts. It’s the craziest thing. So other than that and getting the A/C fixed I am happy with how she is now. Took me a damn year but I got there lol

Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Toran
I have used it in the gas tank, and in the oil shortly before changing and have never had any negative effects. I used it back in the day on my BMW and Porsche with same results.
oh shortly before changing :/ crap I put it in and had just changed it last week

Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I used SeaFoam every 4 or 5 fill ups in the gas tank.

I use it, if I remember, 100-200 miles before an oil change by putting it in the oil filler.

I did use it once by sucking it in the intake but read that really doesn't do a whole heck of a lot - smokes like crazy though.

Here's a motor with 40k on a top end rebuild that has regular oil changes

Attached Thumbnails anyone use sea foam?-valves.jpg  

Quick Reply: anyone use sea foam?